Thread: Looking for a rather strange SciFi book

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Looking for a rather strange SciFi book

Greetings fellow Ubuntians!

I am looking for the name of a book that I read several years ago, while I was in the 9th grade perhaps. It is definitely the weirdest book that I have ever read and I would like to find it, mainly just so that I can read it again and show my friends this magnificent work of completely messed up art!

Anyway, in the book, Martians had arrived to earth and essentially taken over (if I remember correctly, I believe it was a peaceful takeover). The Martians looked like humans, but were taller and always wore black suits and sunglasses. The biggest change they made to how things were run on earth was that they replaced all currency with stomach juices (yes, you read that right). Basically, they drove around buses which you could enter to extract stomach juice when you needed some currency (kinda like a blood donation buss, only without blood and you got to keep what you took out).

The main character was generally not very pleased with the martian takeover, but was especially concerned with the health effects of repeatedly removing stomach juice for humans.

This is pretty much all I remember about it, if it rings a bell for anyone that would be awesome! I believe the author was Russian (chances are, from the soviet times), but I read it in Swedish.
    My cross-platform python modules for PVA or population simulation https://code.google.com/p/nobones/, written in Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Looking for a rather strange SciFi book

Sounds like Isaac Asimov. Look through his bibliography.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

Re: Looking for a rather strange SciFi book

Quote Originally Posted by Kimm View Post
    Greetings fellow Ubuntians!

I am looking for the name of a book that I read several years ago, while I was in the 9th grade perhaps. It is definitely the weirdest book that I have ever read and I would like to find it, mainly just so that I can read it again and show my friends this magnificent work of completely messed up art!

Anyway, in the book, Martians had arrived to earth and essentially taken over (if I remember correctly, I believe it was a peaceful takeover). The Martians looked like humans, but were taller and always wore black suits and sunglasses. The biggest change they made to how things were run on earth was that they replaced all currency with stomach juices (yes, you read that right). Basically, they drove around buses which you could enter to extract stomach juice when you needed some currency (kinda like a blood donation buss, only without blood and you got to keep what you took out).

The main character was generally not very pleased with the martian takeover, but was especially concerned with the health effects of repeatedly removing stomach juice for humans.

This is pretty much all I remember about it, if it rings a bell for anyone that would be awesome! I believe the author was Russian (chances are, from the soviet times), but I read it in Swedish.
    I believe you are referring to the strugatsky brothers

"The second martian invasion" though it had a few differing titles including second war of the worlds and the second invasion from mars.

Phoebus Apollo was the protagonist

You can get it here http://www.amazon.com/Far-Rainbow-Se...sion+from+mars
    Last edited by haqking; February 5th, 2013 at 06:03 PM.
    Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013