Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is the future for Ubuntu?

Beans

Re: What is the future for Ubuntu?

Let me quote Canonical on this:
    if a user clicks the item and purchases it, it will generate affiliate revenue
    This means Amazon search results are de-facto sponsor ads. Therefore forcing users to opt-out == including adware. Case closed.

But my point is Unity was garbage even before that. Now it's simply laughable.
    Last edited by prodigy_; February 9th, 2013 at 11:35 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    Let me quote Canonical on this:
    This means Amazon search results are de-facto sponsor ads. Therefore forcing users to opt-out == including adware. Case closed.

But my point is Unity was garbage even before that. Now it's simply laughable.
    Source please.

Beans

Beans

From that article:

Defending the decision, Oliver Ries, head of engineering product strategy at Canonical, said that revenue was important to Ubuntu:
    …if a user clicks the item and purchases it, it will generate affiliate revenue that we can invest back into the project (in a similar way to how we generate revenue from the Firefox search
bar).

We have found affiliate revenue to be a good method of helping us to continue to invest in maturing and growing Ubuntu.
    If you want to quote, please quote. Don't paraphrase and spin it to fit your argument.

When you make subjective assertions like "Unity was garbage even before that. Now it's simply laughable," I conclude that you're either:

a) Linux4unme off Youtube
    or
    b) Someone who doesn't understand that taste is subjective. Lots of people like Unity. For those who don't there are plenty of alternatives, including Kubuntu and Xubuntu within the Ubuntu family. No one is forcing you to use Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by iamkuriouspurpleoranj View Post
    If you want to quote, please quote.
    It's not particularly interesting what justification is provided for resorting to a questionable practice. No kind of justification could make it acceptable and there are many distros that are somehow being developed without resorting to any such means.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    It's not particularly interesting what justification is provided for resorting to a questionable practice. No kind of justification could make it acceptable and there are many distros that are somehow being developed without resorting to any such means.
    Yes but the point about the Wikipedia article was that adware is a broad term that comprises commercial practises employed by companies such as Google, Facebook and Microsoft, who even though they have their critics (I am one), are enjoyed by many users.

By the way, thanks for tidying up your quote.

As for other distros, most of the user-friendly ones including Linux Mint are rethemed/rebranded Ubuntus with one or two extra apps thrown in. Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu and all the other little 'buntus don't have equivalents of unity shopping.

Linux Mint is very open about using advertising as a source of revenue. DuckDuckGo is the default search engine because Google doesn't contribute to Linux Mint's revenue.

It's all about the money.

Other distros - CrunchBang, for example - survive through donations.

Arch Linux transfers most of the "work" over to the user, which is great for those who want it but not what your average man or woman in the street wants.

So to sum up:

- I don't like unity shopping stuff
    - I think it should be optional (opt-in rather than opt-out as at present)
    - It isn't fair to say that what Canonical has done is illegitimate or immoral
    - Ubuntu is still free of charge and free as in freedom unless you opt-in to Flash, Microsoft corefonts.

If you want Ubuntu to go in the direction you want, why not get involved in the development so you can have an influence? They have even broken down the donations section so you can donate to areas where you want to see development focused.

If you want to use another distro, that's the great thing about Linux: you can. You're free to choose.

It always puzzles my why people get so upset about changes made to a free-of-charge and entirely optional operating system. It's hard to opt out of Windows. It isn't hard to opt out of Ubuntu. It's there if you want it.

Beans

Anyway, back on topic.

What's the future for Ubuntu?

It gets bought out by some shady consortium and turned into a 100 acre leisure complex but stays true to its principles by remaining purple and orange and free of proprietary software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Nothing new about this topic. Moved to Recurring Discussions.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123