Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the future for Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What is the future for Ubuntu?

Is it a lack of focus or is it diversifying?

The Ubuntu distribution is not a commercial product. Canonical is not a hardware company and there is no intention for Canonical to become one. So, Canonical is focused on working with OEMs to make it easy for the OEMs to put Ubuntu on their devices.

Another way to look at this question is to ask - Where is Linux going? Not too easy to answer, is it?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Bit of both IMO. It would be very easy for an organisation to lose focus while diversifying.

I'd love to eat my hat on this one. I'd be more than happy for Canonical to announce some major partnerships with big names and have them release some solid, polished devices with good app ecosystems and massive marketing support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

The Ubuntu distribution is not a commercial product.
    Well, actually, it is.

I don't have a problem with Canonical tackling lots of projects. The problem is that they get enthusiastic about a product idea, throw together a prototype and assign developers to it... and then get excited about something else and either kill the first project or take away most of its development team.

The Ubuntu TV project has only one or two developers, from what I hear. You will never ship a product with such little support.

I love the idea of Ubuntu Phone, but Canonical doesn't seem to be clear about its features and target market. Contrast that to the Ouya startup: They are clear about what the Ouya will do and what its selling points are and have been since their Kickstarter.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    Well, actually, it is.

I don't have a problem with Canonical tackling lots of projects. The problem is that they get enthusiastic about a product idea, throw together a prototype and assign developers to it... and then get excited about something else and either kill the first project or take away most of its development team.

The Ubuntu TV project has only one or two developers, from what I hear. You will never ship a product with such little support.

I love the idea of Ubuntu Phone, but Canonical doesn't seem to be clear about its features and target market. Contrast that to the Ouya startup: They are clear about what the Ouya will do and what its selling points are and have been since their Kickstarter.
    I would argue that the problem is that Canonical doesn't properly kill their old projects, and they are far too slow with whatever the current one is. Perhaps because they live off of Shuttleworth's money, they don't seem to have any real sense of urgency.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

With luck it will be that we only promote LTS releases to average end-users. Another dream would be to also have such available on appropriate physical media in at least one major retailer in each Anglosphere country.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by skellat View Post
    With luck it will be that we only promote LTS releases to average end-users. Another dream would be to also have such available on appropriate physical media in at least one major retailer in each Anglosphere country.
    DITTO! LTS releases, solid and stable for casual users; and the in-between releases for beta testers and tinkerers who help make the LTSes awesomer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I don't know what the future of Ubuntu is, but I do know that it will change next year.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans

My hope is that sooner or later there will be a Ubuntu tablet availabe for us who like what real computers can do.

My fear is that Ubuntu will lose its identity when squeezed into a Ubuntu phone.

Look what happened to Microsoft when it tried to produce a single operating system for phones and desktops. Even their long-suffering supporters are hoping that Windows 9 will somehow fix the jam they landed into with Windows 8.

Nokia is another victim of Windows 8. Google's Android still seems to be unsafe and untrustworthy. Apple devices are for the 1 % who can afford them.

So there is latent demand for competent, affordable devices that can be adapted in ways that users choose.

Probably only Canonical has the right resources and mindset to succeed in this game. So they have huge opportunities ahead of them.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

There is no future for Ubuntu. Not anymore since adware inclusion in 12.10. It's basically as low as you can fall in the world of software development. Nobody will even take Ubuntu seriously from now on.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    There is no future for Ubuntu. Not anymore since adware inclusion in 12.10. It's basically as low as you can fall in the world of software development. Nobody will even take Ubuntu seriously from now on.
    Adware? Oh, come now.

To be clear, I don't like any of the commercial post 12.04 "innovations" and have systematically removed them from my system. I think having Amazon shortcut on the launcher gives Ubuntu a tacky edge and detracts from the experience.

However, to call it adware is unfair. If you read the Wikipedia article on adware, you'll see big names like Google, Facebook and Microsoft all mentioned (in the "software as a service" section). Far from being as low as you can get in software development, it seems on the contrary to be quite commonplace and is practised by software's largest companies.

Amazon is a hugely successful online retailer. Integrating their services with Ubuntu is not in of itself a silly idea. After all, the popularity of Mint which installs non-free codecs by default suggests that users value convenience more than ideals.

They would do better to make it optional though and to have made it mandatory at the expense of system performance suggests an error of judgement.

Maybe they should offer an Amazon-stuff-free version at a small price, whatever is needed to make it generate some kind of revenue. So people can say "I want to keep Ubuntu viable but I don't want the shopping lens. Here's 50 cents of my hard-earned cash". Ok, that would violate Mark Shuttleworth's commitment to Ubuntu being free but still.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast