Thread: Need to recover data from hard drive platters

Beans

Angry Need to recover data from hard drive platters

I have a Western Digital Passport Essential 1TB (USB 3.0), Model #WD10TMVW-11ZSMS1, external hard drive.

A few months ago I was plugging my hard drive into my laptop, via an eSATA/USB 2.0 port. I believe that the USB 3.0 cable somehow got disconnect while plugged into the eSATA/USB 2.0 port.

The second after I notice that my hard drive was disconnected, via Windows 7's disconnect sound fx, my hard drive wasn't showing up on Windows 7's My Computer ‘Hard Drive' section. I tried using recover programs with no luck.

I believe that the there's something wrong with either the PCB and/or Actuator Arm are malfunctioning and the platters are still good and still spins. I believe that some or most of my data can be retrieved be either replacing the PCB & Actuator Arm on my hard drive OR taking my hard drive's platters and placing them into a working hard drive of the same type and model.

Can anybody suggest any hard drive recovery company's that can perform the tasks I listed above. I would prefer places somewhere within Michigan, but anywhere within the US will be fine.

Thanks for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Need to recover data from hard drive platters

Quote Originally Posted by Myth Buster 0018 View Post
    I tried using recover programs with no luck.
    Did you try using either RecoverMyFiles or GetDataBack (both MS-Windows apps from Runtime software)? I have found these two to be the best data recovery apps out there.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I've tried both if those, and others, recovery software with no luck. I believe that the actuator arms are malfunctioning and my hard drive is beyond any software help.

Do you know of any computer recovery places that somehow read/recover the data off my platters?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Myth Buster 0018 View Post
    I've tried both if those, and others, recovery software with no luck. I believe that the actuator arms are malfunctioning and my hard drive is beyond any software help.

Do you know of any computer recovery places that somehow read/recover the data off my platters?
    Sorry to hear that... no, I don't know of any, but from the little I've heard, be prepared to spend LOTS of money -- as the work involved disassembling your drive in a clean room environment.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

I know that the recovery process could go into the thousands of dollars and I might be ok paying that much. I would like to find a well reliable company that I can get an quote from and has a 'No Data, No Cost' policy.

I'm currently looking at ACS Data Recovery http://www.acsdata.com/ They have experience in heading Western Digital hard drives and swapping their platters.