Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Font Issue - Word 2007 - calibri

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Font Issue - Word 2007 - calibri

Hi,

I installed Word 2007 in Ubuntu. I also use it with Windows. Most of my documents use the Calibri font. The Ubuntu installation lets me select this font, and I believe that crossover installed that font. However, the Ubuntu version of the text looks really crappy.

I am attaching a screenshot (Windows on right/Ubuntu on left).

What can I do to fix this?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Re: Font Issue - Word 2007 - calibri

I also copied/pasted the same text into OpenOffice. The font chose is still shown as calibri, but the font looks great again!

See screenshot
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I have the same problem, but I personally use FreeSans.
    The Day Microsoft make something that doesn't suck...is the day they make Vacuum cleaners.

Beans
    Distro

Do you know how to update the font that the actual Word 2007 program is using for menus and other parts of the program?

Beans
    Distro

I have this problem.
    However, if i use calibri in OpenOffice, it's also ugly.. any help?
    I had the Vista fonts installed for open office before i used word 2007..then calibri didnt work either

edit: a reason why i wanted to use word 2007 because open office would render fonts differently from word.. causing pages to shift down and ruin the layout.
    But now in Word 2007 the fonts are the same? Even verdana looks different (ugly) while in OpenOffice it looks nice

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

What you're calling "ugly" is called anti-aliasing, and for some reason wine doesn't do anti-aliasing in the word document. Strangely enough, it DOES do anti-aliasing on shapes.

I have no idea what's wrong - maybe you can fix it by getting native gdiplus, but I've never tried and wouldn't recommend it. My other guess is its a freetype issue that doesn't work with subpixel rendering well, or its an issue with the font itself. I never investigated very much into it - it's an eyesore at most and I'm more of a function over aesthetics person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does your document print the way it looks on the screen? I use OO while other people at work use office2007 and sometimes (infrequently) the document created in word will look strange on my screen but prints just fine.
    Registered Ubuntu User # 18139 and Registered linux user # 486806 Stuck in a Windows world!!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NightMKoder View Post
    What you're calling "ugly" is called anti-aliasing, and for some reason wine doesn't do anti-aliasing in the word document. Strangely enough, it DOES do anti-aliasing on shapes.
    The thing is, whenever I make the font larger, it does look nice..and it does look anti-aliased.. but if i used fontsize 10+bolt it looks like i'm back in 1998..

Don't know about printing..havent tried

Beans

Have you tried to install ms Powerpoint viewer via Wine, because Calibri comes with the ms poweropint viewer 07

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I've seen this problem for a while, and it annoys the crap out of me. The problem is that for calibri (and for some other fonts) anti-aliasing strangely does not work for some font sizes.

In my case, this is irrespective of being done through WINE (which supports font-AA since version 1.1.16), or in native Linux apps, such as OOo. So, this would be similar to what Duranxl is describing, above.

I found a web page in another language which seems to address this problem. They also show a nice demo of the fonts shown in several sizes.
    http://www.yukei.net/2008/03/fix-para-calibri-en-linux/
    Unfortunately, I don't speak that language, but I'll try to figure it out. I'll post it here if I make some progress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast