I have a new Lenovo Z580 laptop which came with Windows 8 preinstalled. I have been trying to dual boot with Ubuntu 12.10 with only limited success. The laptop is UEFI (not entirely sure what that means but from looking at other posts it seems important). This is the story so far:
1. I edited the BIOS options to turn OFF SecureBoot and change boot mode to Legacy (with UEFI as priority)
2. I used a live CD of GParted to make a ~450 GB partition on my hard drive
3. After this, Windows was still able to boot just fine (after some complaining and disk checking etc)
4. I was able to boot a LiveCD of the Ubuntu Secure Remix 12.10 64bit
5. I installed Ubuntu using the default options (although strangely it didn't ask me what size I wanted the Ubuntu partition to be, it just placed it in the new empty partition without warning).
6. Installation all seemed to go OK.
7. After looking at various forum posts, I ran boot-repair. This threw an error: http://paste.ubuntu.com/1608706
After restarting the computer, no grub screen appears. It just boots straight into Windows 8 (after some complaining the first time round). If I access the Boot menu I can see that there is an 'ubuntu' entry. When I select this, it just boots into Windows 8.
I know very, very little about grub and booting etc. I am very much a Linux novice. Looking at the boot-repair output it seems like the problem is:
mkdir: cannot create directory `/boot/efi/EFI/ubuntu': Input/output errorBut I don't know what this means or how to solve it.
Is anyone able to offer any help?