Thread: Phone tablet hybrid: what's the best choice?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Phone tablet hybrid: what's the best choice?

Hello everyone,

All this talk about the Ubuntu Phone OS got me wondering on the usage of this modern gadgetry. Apart from laptops, I only own a dumphone; talking with colleagues and reading specs on the internet I came to realise that I can fully dispense paper with a proper set up. Especially when I travel I usually need to print a few articles so that the time at airports, airplanes and trains is not wasted. It is also better to have notes on the electronic document itself than on the paper...

What seems to fit my needs the best is something like a PadFone (apologies for the advertising). But with a price tag of 800 € it is not a straightforward option. There is also the Transphone Pro coming the next months; even with taxes it should cost less than half the Asus, but the hardware is miles away. In the middle may be the Galaxy Note, but this all-in one solution seems too large for a phone and too small for a tablet.

So I'd like to hear from folks more into this subject than me. Would you buy any of the above? Would you suggest something else with this sort of flexibility?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Phone tablet hybrid: what's the best choice?

If I needed a phone I would go for the Nexus 4 (or its sequel) with a slimport to HDMI adapter and a Bluetooth keyboard and mouse at the office. Nexus + Ubuntu seems to be a good combo.

If you can stand a very large phone maybe a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 with a bluetooth headset could be an alternative. At your office you plug it in your screen with the HML-port and connect the tablet to a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard. If you need a keyboard on the go you can look for a portable bluetooth keyboard or keyboard case. One device for all your needs!

I'm looking forward to the rumoured Google Nexus 7.7 and hope that it will come with an HDMI and USB port (or HML/slimport). I do prefer HDMI and USB over HML or slimport for easy connection with peripherals I already have.

Beans

Geared more toward a tablet? http://google.com/nexus/7
    Geared more toward a phone? http://google.com/nexus/4

Google's got you covered!

Beans

What I would like to see is something like the Mini PC Android sticks that can slide into a different form factor depending on what you want to use it for, or plug into the TV and what not. Maybe that's just me being weird, but I think if anyone can pull it off, Android can.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clue

Beans

asus padfone is a phone and a tablet at the same time. Imo the perfect gadget for Ubuntu OS, but for some reason its not hyped at all.. Search for the padfone infinity Best phone-design I have seen

Beans

Agreed The Padfone (not to be confused with Fonepad) is really the only device that i have seen that does this, i am not sure though that the mobile interface will switch perfectly into tablet interface when plugged in and when docked will become desktop ubuntu. it is a horrifically a long shot but if it is possible it is worth every cent.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lads View Post
    Hello everyone,

All this talk about the Ubuntu Phone OS got me wondering on the usage of this modern gadgetry. Apart from laptops, I only own a dumphone; talking with colleagues and reading specs on the internet I came to realise that I can fully dispense paper with a proper set up. Especially when I travel I usually need to print a few articles so that the time at airports, airplanes and trains is not wasted. It is also better to have notes on the electronic document itself than on the paper...

What seems to fit my needs the best is something like a PadFone (apologies for the advertising). But with a price tag of 800 € it is not a straightforward option. There is also the Transphone Pro coming the next months; even with taxes it should cost less than half the Asus, but the hardware is miles away. In the middle may be the Galaxy Note, but this all-in one solution seems too large for a phone and too small for a tablet.

So I'd like to hear from folks more into this subject than me. Would you buy any of the above? Would you suggest something else with this sort of flexibility?

Thanks.
    How about Nexus? They are good also.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

The new Transphone 2 Pro+ looks quite nice, and the specs seem Ubuntu Phone compatible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by PerplexxdYet View Post
    Geared more toward a tablet? http://google.com/nexus/7

Google's got you covered!
    If it had HDMI (or MHL) I would have bought one already, now I wait for the Nexus 7.7 specs. One of the key functions of Ubuntu OS is the tablet-desktop merge and without the possibility to connect a large screen to the tablet you won't get that.