Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unable to boot Ubuntu (Windows boots fine, using EasyBCD)

Beans

Unable to boot Ubuntu (Windows boots fine, using EasyBCD)

EDIT by varunendra:
    * Not able to boot Ubuntu
    * Used EasyBCD after initial failure (post #11)
    * Boot-Repair did not help either. (post #17)
    ----------------------------------------------
    Original post:

I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed and I'm using a wireless adapter, an Edimax 7811Un. The problem I'm having is grub isn't working, when I select Ubuntu in the boot menu, I'm met with grub> on my screen.

I've read that my wireless adapter has had bugs with Ubuntu and installing it, however I downloaded the current drivers and attempted to install them to find this in the Terminal: Authentication requested [root] for make clean

I looked up how to correct this problem on this site: http://www.r-statistics.com/2011/11/...-ubuntu-11-10/

However, using the method mentioned here in attempting to correct my adapter, it doesn't work. I can only get into Ubuntu through the USB stick, booting it in 'Try Ubuntu'

I believe if I can get Ubuntu to connect to the wifi I can fix the grub> issue I'm having. How do I correct the bug with my wifi adapter while having my current problem?

Any help is appreciated, thank you!
    Last edited by varunendra; February 8th, 2013 at 01:21 AM. Reason: To add relevant info

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu wireless not working.

Get to your ubuntu install

Open a terminal and do this

Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sda
    Reboot without your USBflash drive
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Once it's booting up normally we need to see the result of this to help with your wireless
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    Unless your using a USB wireless dongle?
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    Once it's booting up normally we need to see the result of this to help with your wireless
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    Unless your using a USB wireless dongle?
    It's a wireless dongle, just a USB chip I plug in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Code:
    lsusb -v
    will list details on usb devices

Beans

I tried the sudo update-grub and recieved this message: /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Onigami View Post
    I tried the sudo update-grub and recieved this message: /usr/sbin/grub-probe: error: failed to get canonical path of /cow.
    Umm...
    Doesn't sound so good
    Not sure what that means

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Onigami View Post
    So you were booting to an installed system with the aid of the USB, not booting to a Live session on the USB?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by carl4926 View Post
    So you were booting to an installed system with the aid of the USB, not booting to a Live session on the USB?
    I can't boot a live session, when I use the USB stick it simply gives me the options to use Memtest, test for errors, install Ubuntu or try without installing.

EDIT: Ubuntu 12.10 64 is installed, would I have slightly better luck if I used 12.04 64 or switching to 32 bit? I only use 64 because of my RAM.
    Last edited by Onigami; February 4th, 2013 at 08:03 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I'm sorry
    But to me it's not entirely clear if you can boot your installed system or not? At first I thought you could. But now I think not.

If you can't boot the live cd?
    I can't boot a live session, when I use the USB stick it simply gives me the options to use Memtest, test for errors, install Ubuntu or try without installing.
    Is that what you mean?

Because earlier you said
    I can only get into Ubuntu through the USB stick, booting it in 'Try Ubuntu'
    I think you need to get so you either just re-install over the top or boot to a live session and repair grub
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1581099

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast