Thread: Mythbuntu with WinTV HVR-2250

Beans

Mythbuntu with WinTV HVR-2250

I'm totally new to MythTV and DIY PVR systems, but comfortable with Linux (not an expert). I have a fresh installation of Mythbuntu 12.04.1 (32-bit) and I just installed my Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 TV tuner card into the computer. How do I get it detected and set up in MythTV?

P.S. - This machine will serve as a backend for the XBMC clients I have set up throughout my house.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: need help getting Mythbuntu working with WinTV HVR-2250

Quote Originally Posted by DiGiTY View Post
    I'm totally new to MythTV and DIY PVR systems, but comfortable with Linux (not an expert). I have a fresh installation of Mythbuntu 12.04.1 (32-bit) and I just installed my Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 TV tuner card into the computer. How do I get it detected and set up in MythTV?

P.S. - This machine will serve as a backend for the XBMC clients I have set up throughout my house.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post11205874

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Did you get this working?

With the current version of mythbuntu, the only thing you need do is to download the firmware and place it in the /lib/firmware directory.

Beans

Nope, I haven't gotten it to work yet. I'll try again soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Mythbuntu with WinTV HVR-2250

When you do get it working, I would be interested to know whether both the analog and digital tuners are working, and if there are any known issues with either. More than half of the content that my local provider sends me over cable is analog, so it is still a large part of any MythTV setup for me.

HDTV is nice, but with almost all of digital cable being encrypted, it becomes less important due to sheer number of channels that I am able to freely record via analog. I would go the route of getting an HDHR or a Ceton with a cable card, but I am not even certain that any content could be utilized by my MythTV backends because of the Copy Freely flags.

I think we are all stuck for as long as the cable companies cannot wrap their heads around the primary way all the content providers get paid for their channels - advertising. Advertising income impacts their analog content as well as their HDTV content, but I would think that those advertisers would want their message viewed by the widest audience possible, as easily as possible. Imagine the difference, if your ads were viewed in HD by anyone that had a flat panel TV, not just the ones with a digital tuner box leased from the cable company. I am sure that the folks at the History Channel or the Discovery Channel would lover a wider audience.
    Last edited by jlp_engineer; February 6th, 2013 at 07:45 PM.

Beans

Re: Mythbuntu with WinTV HVR-2250

Quote Originally Posted by jlp_engineer View Post

I think we are all stuck for as long as the cable companies cannot wrap their heads around the primary way all the content providers get paid for their channels -
    For those of us who have cut the cord and do OTA only this isn't an issue. HDTV via OTA is quite nice and the ability for Myth to record it through this card is important.