Thread: Learning Linux

Beans

Learning Linux

Hello everyone in the Ubuntu community. I've been using Ubuntu for about a year as my primary OS; however, I haven't quite dug deeply into the linux world. I am somewhat comfortable with the CLI for example, yet I have difficulty finding files and shell scripting.

I want to make a serious effort at becoming considerably better at both using and eventually master linux. Thus I came here to ask for some recommended tutorials that can be used to build up my skill set. Specifically:

1. Using the console
    2. Using VIM
    3. Installing and configuring applications from the CLI
    4. Shell scripting
    5. File management
    6. More advanced topics such as dealing with repositories

I suspect this list is far from complete. Therefore, if you are willing at the very least to add a few more areas that would be helpful to learn, then I would be very grateful.

Regards,
    ravendale

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Learning Linux

I recommend checking out thegeekstuff.com and downloading the free ebook he offers on linux hacking plus he has articles about all kinds of tips and tricks with linux. while by no means is this the only or best resource out there it is good because he does a great job of giving you serving sized tidbits.

for vi/vim this is indispensable http://www.worldtimzone.com/res/vi.html

while not really good for beginners the linux documentation project has alot of resources
    zealibib slaughter is a dwarven paladin of ill temperment played by a fat man of jolly temperment.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is a good starting point
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ExternalGuides

Beans

Do you guys think my list is complete or would you add a few more items?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

If you want to really, really learn Linux, I honestly think you need to stop using Ubuntu. Ubuntu is too polish, too easy. You need the struggle in order to learn. You need to be immersed in the foreign language that is Linux.

* Arch
    * Slackware
    * Gentoo
    will all teach you things by forcing you to know stuff that you may never have needed to learn using Ubuntu or even Fedora.

Next, the best way to learn is by doing. Stop using the GUI except to open multiple terminals. No more GUI programs.
    * Lynx for web browsing
    * Pine or Elm for email
    * mp3123 for listening to music

For shell scripting, there are many great beginning UNIX books or the O'Reilly Power UNIX Scripting Book. Regarding shell scripts - the scripts that I wrote 20+ yrs ago are still working unchanged, so most of that has not really changed. There definitely have been improvements over all the years, but backwards compatibility does work and the basic techniques are all the same.

Using vim is another thing that is good to know if you work on many different platforms that you can't always control. I've never logged into any router that had nano or emacs installed, but they all have vi. Use vim to write your emails. Use vim to edit every file regardless of platform. Look up some vim-pro youtube videos, since many vim users barely scratch the surface of the capabilities. After seeing a pro-vim user fold and unfold lines, jump to anywhere he likes in the file, and perform regex search "magic", you'll never go back to other editors. I use vim 20+ times daily, though not for emails. The 1st 6 months can be hard. I remember.

As with all things that you'd like to master, it takes time, but complete immersion is the best way. That is why learning a foreign language at home through classes takes 5+ years, but becoming relatively fluent happens in just 2 months when living in-country. Immersion works and is the least painful method.

Last, find your local LUG, connect with them and attend the meetings. If you can't find one, check at the local University - I promise - there are people there using Linux in very cool ways.