Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: virtual machines

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    67
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    virtual machines

    Hi,
    I've just got a few questions about virtual machines, for one do you need all the system resources for both operating systems? I'm just playing around with it right now, getting used to it, so I'm installing another Ubuntu in the virtual machine and I'm noticing my computer going a bit slower with some pauses.

    Is it possible to transfer files between the virtual machine and your...main pc...?

    Thats about all I have for now, it really cool that you can have another operating system running inside your main one!

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Magic City of the Plains
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    8,757
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Just some questions about virtual machines

    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanch View Post
    I'm installing another Ubuntu in the virtual machine and I'm noticing my computer going a bit slower with some pauses.
    Installation is a pretty disk-intensive process so it will tend to slow everything down. In general, the more VMs you have running the slower they will be unless you have lots of memory and a reasonably fast processor. I rarely run any modern OS with a graphical interface in less than 1 GB; text-mode only systems like Ubuntu server usually run fine in 512 MB. But disk-intensive activities are especially likely to slow things down since they make it more difficult for the other running VMs to access the drive.

    Is it possible to transfer files between the virtual machine and your...main pc...?
    If you are using VirtualBox then, yes, you can create something called a shared folder that both the host and guest can access. I believe you need the extensions pack installed to activate shared folders. I often simply write to a network share on my server that I can mount from both the host and guest.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; February 4th, 2013 at 03:54 AM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    67
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Just some questions about virtual machines

    Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Installation is a pretty disk-intensive process so it will tend to slow everything down. In general, the more VMs you have running the slower they will be unless you have lots of memory and a reasonably fast processor. I rarely run any modern OS with a graphical interface in less than 1 GB; text-mode only systems like Ubuntu server usually run fine in 512 MB. But disk-intensive activities are especially likely to slow things down since they make it more difficult for the other running VMs to access the drive.



    If you are using VirtualBox then, yes, you can create something called a shared folder that both the host and guest can access. I believe you need the extensions pack installed to activate shared folders. I often simply write to a network share on my server that I can mount from both the host and guest.
    The extensions pack worked perfectly, thank you.

    But I'm having a problem with it recognizing when a usb device is plugged in, it just doesn't see anything at all.
    I've already tried looking it up to see if I could find a fix. But I haven't been able to find anything. It seems no matter what I try it doesn't want to see that there are even any usb devices there.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Oregon
    Beans
    329

    Re: Just some questions about virtual machines

    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanch View Post
    But I'm having a problem with it recognizing when a usb device is plugged in, it just doesn't see anything at all.
    I've already tried looking it up to see if I could find a fix. But I haven't been able to find anything. It seems no matter what I try it doesn't want to see that there are even any usb devices there.
    It's been a while since I've used Ubuntu but I don't think this has changed... The open source Virtualbox version in the Ubuntu repos (virtualbox-ose) does not support USB connections. You need to install the PUEL (Personal Use and Evaluation License) version from the Virtualbox website (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads).

    Also, be sure your user is a member of the vboxusers group or USB support will not work.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Quebec, Canada
    Beans
    261
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: virtual machines

    Quote Originally Posted by cwblanch View Post
    Is it possible to transfer files between the virtual machine and your...main pc...?
    SeijiSensei is right, on VirtualBox you need the Extension Pack;
    On VMware however (Also availible on Linux, shareware. You also need to install an extension, being VMware Tools), it's actually a bit easier. I find VMware much more powerful (Unity Mode kick ass, with the ability of dragging and dropping shortcuts from the VM to your Ubuntu Desktop), but I've recently switched to VirtualBox, VMware can't run smoothly anymore for some reason.

    Anyways, VMware also has this feature, but you could simply drag and drop your file.

    I should warn you that if you set up a shared folder (On VirtualBox, VMware, or any other) and get a virus on your virtual machine, the virus should be able to go into the shared folder and possibly infect a Windows machine. Keep that in mind.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Location: Location:
    Beans
    1,246
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: virtual machines

    Yep, get the PUEL version of virtualbox , install guest additions, add user to vboxusers

    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    clear && echo paste url and press enter; read paste; (youtube-dl $paste) | zenity --progress --title="" --text "Downloading, please wait" --auto-close --pulsate && ans=$(zenity --file-selection); gnome-terminal -x mplayer "$ans"

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    67
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: virtual machines

    Quote Originally Posted by |{urse View Post
    Yep, get the PUEL version of virtualbox , install guest additions, add user to vboxusers

    https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads
    Thank you, I got it all working.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Ayrshire
    Beans
    39,955
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: virtual machines

    For info, you probably do want to get the deb package from the virtualbox website but not for reasons of PUEL vs OSE, that's long gone.

    For some time, there has been only one version to which you may add an extension package which itself is subject to the VirtualBox Personal Use and Evaluation License (PUEL).

    You can add this package to both the repository and the virtualbox website editions.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •