Thread: Problem with a popup

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Red face Problem with a popup

I am using Ubuntu 12.04 and I have had this popup appearing all of the time. It is using bandwith in the background because my puter slows down almost to a complete stop. The cpu light is flashing and finally this popup comes up on the desktop. I have googled the name of the virus but all that comes up are remedies for windows. The popup name is:

lax1.ib.adnxs.com

I have reformated the puter already and it worked for about 2 days. I am using Chromium for a browser because it syncs my bookmarks and everything else that I need for work and home. At work I am on a Mac Lepord OS and it doesn't seem to be affecting me there. What can I do about this? I also installed clam tk and scanned it there. It did find 2 phishing things that I did remove. It still didn't stop this though...

Thank you ahead of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Problem with a popup

Try going to the settings drop-down in Chromium and in history clear all browsing data. This will clean the browser cache also. Then, go to the Chrome web store and install Ghostery or Adblock Plus and follow the setup instructions.

Restart the browser and see if the popup returns again and if it does disable any other extensions that are suspect if you have any installed.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; February 4th, 2013 at 08:42 PM.
    Believe in possibility and proceed !

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Problem with a popup

Just letting everyone know, that did work. Somehow there was an extention within Chromium that was added. I disabled it and now it works GREAT!!! Thank you for the help

Mark