Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft giving away graphic design programs for free

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lightbulb Microsoft giving away graphic design programs for free

Ok, so Microsoft eventually found out that their Expression suite had no chance to compete with the likes of Adobe Illustrator and Dreamweaver, and their suite was discontinued. However, they are now offering Microsoft Expression Design 4 and Microsoft Expression Web 4 as a free download. Of course they aren't open source, nevertheless they are an interesting addition to the range of free graphic design tools out there...

http://arstechnica.com/information-t...-design-tools/

So, what do you guys think of these programs in comparison with Inkscape, BlueGriffon, KompoZer, etc? How will new competition influence the development of for instance Inkscape? (I've got a couple of opinions myself, but I'd rather hear from you first.)

Microsoft Expression Design 4
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=36180

Microsoft Expression Web 4
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/down....aspx?id=36179

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Microsoft giving away graphic design programs for free

Quote Originally Posted by Dry Lips View Post
    no chance to compete ... discontinued ... aren't open source ... an interesting addition to ... graphic design tools
    You could easily find "interesting additions" of this sort to the range of almost anything. Just visit your city dump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    You could easily find "interesting additions" of this sort to the range of almost anything. Just visit your city dump.
    Oh, you'd be surprised about the stuff that people throw away nowadays. I know about a man who works at the recycling station who got himself a brand new computer. An elderly coupled had decided to get rid of it because they had recently bought a laptop, and thought that the desktop computer took up too much space in their living room. True story...

However, I didn't create this thread to discuss Microsoft, but whether or not Ms. Expression Design/Web are a match to Inkscape/KompoZer.

Beans

Kompozer is outdated. It was designed a long time ago and the web has changed alot since then. I also found it quite buggy.

They key thing with the Microsoft products are that they are relatively recent so support modern design techniques.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mr john View Post
    Kompozer is outdated. It was designed a long time ago and the web has changed alot since then. I also found it quite buggy.

They key thing with the Microsoft products are that they are relatively recent so support modern design techniques.
    The main problem with Kompozer is that the development stopped on it quite a while ago. BlueGriffon is still maintained though.

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alphacrucis2 View Post
    The main problem with Kompozer is that the development stopped on it quite a while ago. BlueGriffon is still maintained though.
    Isn't it replaced by Kdevelop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Isn't it replaced by Kdevelop?
    Not that I know of. Kompozer is purely a web page authoring app. It was a fork of the NVU project which was terminated. There was really only one developer of Kompozer and he moved on to other things nearly three years ago. The original NVU dev started up BlueGriffon as a new project which is still very much alive.

Ha!. I just looked at Kaze's blog. Looks like he hasn't totally given up on Kompozer:

http://www.kazhack.org/
    Last edited by alphacrucis2; February 4th, 2013 at 01:52 AM.

Beans

You know I may play with this, for laughs I mean why the heck not?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Free or trial? Does Microsoft know the diference?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Sslaxx View Post
    Free or trial? Does Microsoft know the diference?
    No, it's actually free. Active development and support is being discontinued, which is why this happened. Quite unusual for Microsoft perhaps...

Expression Design 4 and Expression Web 4 are now available for download at no charge. Technical support will not be available for these free versions.
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/expression/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast