Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

And one more thing please,if i only have installed Ubuntu Studio,but i install windows software like LMMS Linux Multimedia System or other free and open source software that runs on windows and i install it in ubuntu studio trough wine can i get affected by viruses,trojans,worms,spyware,adwer,etc ? Do i need special "cleaning" stuf for the wine part of ubuntu other than bleachbit or remove orphaned packages ? Thank you !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Why would you use windows versions of the program that also has linux version?

WINE can run windows viruses, so be carefull. It will not contaminate Ubuntu Studio.
    If you install just free software, as you mentioned, you will not get any malware.
    There is no need for cleaning tool for WINE. Simple virus scaner will suffice, if you are looking for that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

I would just like to point out that having a Firewall is really recommended, but usually you have this on your router or default gateway. If you are connecting directly to your ISP, without a firewall in between, you should think about getting one. It is possible to configure firewalls in Ubuntu as well, but usually, it's just easier to use a router for that.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you ! Problem is when i install LINUX MULTIMEDIA STUDIO from Ubuntu Software Center WINE automaticly installs as well ! But even with auto installation of wine windows viruses,trojans and spyware can not affect my ubuntu studio witch is single on a 500Gb hdd right ? Sorry for my bad english !
    Last edited by DjRadu; April 5th, 2013 at 02:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

I don't know how possible it is to get Windows trojans or viruses through WINE. But, merely installing WINE should not pose much of a security risk. After all, it won't run until you start Windows software.

LMMS has support for VST I believe, and it is only the 32bit version of LMMS that depends on WINE.

Beans
    Distro

I meant if you install a windows software in ubuntu studio (my case) trough wine if its posible to get malware,viruses,trojans,spyware,etc. Thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Everything what is in the code of the program will be executed.
    But, you can not expect that win trojan will install it self and set self up to be run on every startup of the Ubuntu. Because it is not win OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

what version of Ubuntu Studio are you using?

Ubuntu Studio 13.04 comes with LMMS preinstalled i.e. it has LMMS once you install Ubuntu Studio 13.04! Also, LMMS is for Linux only, why need Wine for that?

As Jejeman pointed out: Please don't bother so much about windows viruses, as they cannot run in Linux environment and hence hardly poses any threat!
    Last edited by su:bhatta; August 28th, 2013 at 10:29 AM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulûk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulûk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by bhattabhishek View Post
    what version of Ubuntu Studio are you using?

Ubuntu Studio 13.04 comes with LMMS preinstalled i.e. it has LMMS once you install Ubuntu Studio 13.04! Also, LMMS is for Linux only, why need Wine for that?
    Probably to use VSTs which depends on Wine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123