Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Question Beginner needs help with Ubuntu Studio

I am an amateur dj and music producer of electronic dance music and i terminated all my relations with windows,i have a few ideas of ubuntu studio and the software in it but i have some major questions :

1. How to clean up my system like you do in windows; Disk Cleaning, DIsk Defragmentation, optimization just like in windows, using cleaning and optimization software in windows, advanced system care, ccleaner, System Mechanic, registry defrag and others for example. Basically how to clean up, maintain and optimize Ubuntu Studio, Software, Ideas, .ETC. I also installed LMMS (Linux Multimedia Software) from Terminal and wine and wine related stuff installed with lmms does this affect the way to maintain, cleanup and optimize Ubuntu Studio. What software or methods to clean, optimize and maintain Ubuntu Studio

2. Do I need a firewall or an antivirus for Ubuntu Studio, and what are those programs - Firewall & Antivirus in case I need it. Also, how would I configure it.

Sorry for my bad english , im from Romania, and i hope youl give me as much tips and advice as you can on this thread of this great comunity,i have searched all this things but its allot to dig for beginner and i want to become ,in time, a good ubuntu user, and sorry if i repeated allot !THANKS ALLOT RADU !
    Last edited by sandyd; February 10th, 2013 at 05:19 AM. Reason: fixed formatting

Beans

Re: Beginner needs help ! Thanks in advance !

Welcome, Radu!

1. not necessary
    2. not necessary

Ubuntu is easy!

Quote Originally Posted by snowpine View Post
    Welcome, Radu!

1. not necessary
    2. not necessary

Ubuntu is easy!
    Yeah. Linux doesn't need to be cleaned or defragmented: because of its design it doesn't go into rubbish accumulation and the filesystem doesn't fragments files. To install software you can easily use ubuntu software center, shipped with any ubuntu release. You will find a lot of guides to install software from terminal too. An antivirus is not required: this is controversial, but there are not currently viruses that can infect linux, and the most dangerous ones you could invent need your explicit permission to infect the system (and you are not going to give them this permissions). As always, install only programs that comes from trusted sources and you will not have any trouble (you will not infect your system just by going on internet as it happens with windows). Be careful using browsers: this is general, for any OS (as browsers can be a lot "os-indipendent"). Don't memorizing passwords and usernames into your browser is the best way to be invulnerable to the malware that could run "into" the browser. You can configure a firewall too, I never done it. Here a guide: https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/serverguide/firewall.html .

Beans
    Distro

Question Re: Beginner needs help ! Thanks in advance !

Ok i got it untill now,no antivirus,no firewall.But i did see some software called BLEACHBIT,SWEEPER,GCONFCLEANER witch they say its for maintainance,do i need them if i install,uninstall or reinstall software (more often some times) ? As i said i installed linux multimedia studio and allongside installed WINE could this be a thing that i need antivirus,firewall and maintainance,cleaning and kind of defragment ? Because of the WINE thing witch is used just for LMMS ? Thank you all for the answers and sorry,again,about my english and about my repetittive beginer talk

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DjRadu View Post
    As i said i installed linux multimedia studio and allongside installed WINE could this be a thing that i need antivirus,firewall and maintainance,cleaning and kind of defragment ?
    no.

i mean windows virus can't affect linux system as it is a comepltelly different OS. works in a different way. so you can have it on computer but it won't launch itself and it won't spread. just like oyu cna't launch windows programmes.

as for the firewall - it's actually installed just not enabled because linux doens't listen to any ports by default. you can install graphical interface called gufw to it. or do it like on servers and modify config files.

defragmentation is not necessray as ext filesystem have very, very little defragmentation. almost 0.

there are claning tools. but they are not so good. i mean they can cause trouble if you don't know what you can (is safe) and can't clean. they are not necessary. there is a safe pruge command f oyu want to remove all bits and pieces.

otherwise programmes in linux do not bring dependencies (for example .dll files in windows) with them so they are A LOT smaller than their windows version. they almost always share their dependencies among them. which is sometimes a good thing but somtimes this can cause issues (but if you install from software center you won't have any issues).

you can see how much space the whole system takes and you will see that even with plenty of programmes it is a lot less than windows. additionally as i mentioned before since the system is not really fragmanted having more installed programmes won't slow down your computer.

otherwise i think there is computer janitor and also ubutnu tweak has a "cleaning "untility if you need more disk space.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Distro

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH IT WAS A BIG HELP. Now i got a new question.In windows there are places lice PROGRAM FILES and stuff were you can look for things or load libraries of sounds for music making for example in windows it kind like this c : program files..flstudio...samples folder etc. but in ubuntu i cant seem to find where or from where to load samples or any other data,it seems ( for me as a beginner ) so messed up but I WANT TO LEARN to navigate trough system folders and use the terminal,how to do stuf like above mentioned ? Thank you !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

What samples you want to load and in which software?
    Does LMMS not have already all it's samples avaible?
    Programs are instaled in /usr, but you rarely need to go there.
    You need to stop thinking as windows user.

Beans
    Distro

jejeman You are right i got to stop beeing a window so there in the /usr . Gotta have patiance im a beginer who divorced windows ! Thank you !

Beans
    Distro

Another question. I can install software from Ubuntu Software Center,and if i download from internet i can install them if the program ends wit *.deb but wath about software downloaded that is made for linux wich seems to be archived and when extracted i cant install the ? Can i install Linux software on ubuntu or other software not debian ? Thanks !

Beans
    Hidden!

Depends on what is within the archive. Sometimes its binary files. You just run them and that's it. Sometimes you will have to go into more complicated stuff like compiling them. Either way, there will be usually a text file within the archive which will point you to what you should do. Look out for names like readme, help and stuff like that.

Oh and i think you should take your time to get used to linux. I'm under the impression that you are trying to rush through the process of switching from windows to linux.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast