View Poll Results: Are you ready to ditch physical media?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 24.00%
  • no

42 56.00%
  • depends on the situation

15 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who still wants Physical Media?

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Re: Who still wants Physical Media?

I still use CR-RWs or DVD-RWs sometimes but only when I need to install an OS and the installer doesn't want to boot from USB. It's generally easier than troubleshooting and I'm really lazy. :)

Beans

I certainly prefer physical media, for music and most other things too.
    It is great at Christmas and on my birthday to receive compact discs and play them on either my PS3 or my proper Hi-Fi. Also my classical music collection is really quite extensive and I like to read the inlay cards which contain a lot of detailed information.

Beans

I re-watch movies that I like, so it's cheaper to just buy the DVD (many of which are dirt-cheap on Amazon and Ebay.)

I also burn backups to disks, I feel they are more secure in that format.

Beans

I want them to stick around for video games. I don't mind digital game purchases when they're smaller indie games or similar, or are priced below $20. But if I'm going to spend $60 on a brand new game, heck yeah I want a physical copy of it. I've never spent more than $20 on any digital copy of a game, including Steam and PSN. It's also really nice to be able to buy used games (especially of old consoles like Gamecube) and be able to sell them if you want (though I don't usually do that anymore).

I feel the same way about movies. I don't want to have to rely on streaming services that aren't much more than simply renting the movie. If there's a movie I want to own, I want it on Blu-Ray or DVD (despite the DRM, you still own the physical copy, can play it in any compatible device, and could sell it later if you wanted to).

In terms of Music, I see the advantage of CDs, but I don't need it myself. I just want to buy some MP3s (without DRM) and stick them on my computer and phone. Sites like Amazon, Google Play, and even iTunes let you do that no problem, so I'm fine with digital in that case. Sure, you can't sell them later or buy used, but for $0.99 cents a song (or less), I won't complain, as just a casual music listener and purchaser.

In terms of PC software (including games), I would say that because of DRM, digital is no worse than physical. A physical copy will likely come with a product key with limited activations, or maybe come with a Steam key (better than the former). When that's the case, I'd rather just bypass that BS and go with Steam. That's one big thing that turns me off of PC gaming and keeps me using consoles (the biggest reason though being Nintendo's games). I like Steam compared to other PC DRM, but consoles still have it better right now.
    Last edited by doorknob60; February 3rd, 2013 at 08:41 PM.
    Arch x86_64 User / Windows 7 x64 Dual Boot | Nvidia Geforce GT 430 | AMD Phenom II X4 925 (2.8 Ghz, Quad Core) | 6 GB DDR2 RAM | 500 GB HD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I grew up with cassette tapes (horrible things) and vinyl records. CDs and DVDs were such an improvement.

But then came streaming media. If I want to listen to something specific, it's available with a few clicks, very cheaply. Or for general background music, everything from pop to classical is available, either free or very cheaply.

My answer: why bother with physical media?

Of course, I live with unlimited broadband; people who do not have such luxury will naturally have a different viewpoint.
    Always make regular backups of your data (and test them).
    Visit Full Circle Magazine for beginners and seasoned Linux enthusiasts.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I abandoned physical media years ago. Honestly, I've never owned a DVD player except for the optical drive in my laptop. Of course I don't get off on owning and I think collecting is pathological.

That said, I still love books. I have an ereader which I use from time to time, but any book that I want to seriously study I usually order a used copy in good condition.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I assumed from the topic title, it was referring to physical audioCD vs mp3/m4a or something, haha. Which yes. I prefer physical AudioCD, even Vinyl albums.

I like to have Optical media as far as software goes, it takes quite abit of time to re-download something that could be many many GBs when i need it, more convenient to pop in a disc.
    Same to be said for gaming; I prefer an optical medium.
    Toshiba Satellite L875-s7230 / A6 2.7ghz dual-core piledriver w/ ATI Radeon HD 7520G / 8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 RAM / 500 GB Seagate Momentus XT formatted JFS. >Wifi Drivers for this machine< My Deviant Screenshots

Beans

Gah!
    The title says "Who wants...", but the poll is opposite and says (in essence) "Who DOESN'T want..."

So I accidentally voted the opposite of what I intended...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by Horbo View Post
    Gah!
    The title says "Who wants...", but the poll is opposite and says (in essence) "Who DOESN'T want..."

So I accidentally voted the opposite of what I intended...
    Actually I think I did the same. I voted Yes thinking it was "do I still want physical media".

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    I still buy all of my music on CD's.

There are a couple of reasons for this, firstly I can rip them into the format that I want to. For me this means FLAC as I get a rip that is indistinguishable from the original CD, I don't have to settle for an inferior quality compressed file which makes up 99% of the music available for download.

Secondly the CD's act as a physical backup of my music, I don't trust having access to my music dictated to me by a third party. There is always the possibility of Apple (or whoever) going bust, or getting hacked and all of their customers being cut off from their purchased music.

It also gives me something to pass on to my children, at the moment iTunes accounts aren't transferable between people. When your gone your account is cancelled and all of your purchased music disappears along with it.
    Absolutely. I want to actually be in possession of my software, not merely leasing it and being at the whim of another party.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast