View Poll Results: Are you ready to ditch physical media?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

18 24.00%
  • no

42 56.00%
  • depends on the situation

15 20.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Who still wants Physical Media?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Who still wants Physical Media?

Some things I'm happy to export to the cloud (eg spotify/youtube etc) since having zillions of video clips and mp3's on my computer is not something I find necessary any more.

I use my USB for linux installs and we have an external hard drive for server backups so yeah, I still want it.
    // Blog

Beans

Like others, I like physical things.

I buy books (never use E-readers) purchase music when I am able (most often in vinyl format), and prefer to organize my life in pen-and-paper format, rather than digitally.

Beans

I don't know if it is just me, but something about knowing I have a physical copy of something truly means I own it. As for downloading media, if there were no more physical media isp's would have to get rid of gb caps. Not to mention many second hand video game retailers would have an issue with this I am sure.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I'll get physical stuff of audio CDs like the Skyrim soundtrack, or download MP3s of regular stuff. DVDs/Bluray are iffy - if I know I'll watch a movie more than a few times, I'll get it on bluray. Otherwise it gets streamed via Netflix or Amazon. Burn Notice comes to mind - I would buy it, but it is more convenient and cheaper for me to just watch it over Netflix.

As far as computer backups and stuff, I've been using external drives for a long, long time. I used to use cds or zip disks, but it is way easier to just backup to an external drive and be done with it.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TOMBSTONEV2 View Post
    I don't know if it is just me, but something about knowing I have a physical copy of something truly means I own it. As for downloading media, if there were no more physical media isp's would have to get rid of gb caps. Not to mention many second hand video game retailers would have an issue with this I am sure.
    A)I'm sure game publishers could care less if used game stores dissapeared from the face of the earth. That just means more new copies sold putting money in their pocket.
    B)Getting bandwith caps removed is only a positive outcome in my opinion.
    C) I understand feeling like you own something is important to some people but the convenience outweighs that imo. Being able to start watching a movie within seconds of renting it and not having to go driving in the snow far outweighs any emotions I may have imo.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I voted yes. I have a pretty big DVD and Blu-ray collection, and I just think it is cool having the physical media. I will often rip the media to my computer so I can have access to it through my media center through. So I do like the concept of digital distribution, but absolutely hate the current implementations of it (DRM). I do realize the physical media has DRM, but at least it feels like I actually own the product.

All the legal digital downloads of movies are way to tied up in DRM, which defeated the purpose of being more convenient. Until I can pay and download a movie that is DRM free, I won't fully buy into it.

I like the idea of buying a Blu-ray/DVD that comes with a free digital download that is DRM free... best of both worlds.

When it comes to video games on consoles I like the physical copy... I just don't trust Sony or MS to handle digital downloads properly. For whatever reason, I don't feel the same way about PC games and Steam. I prefer to purchase all my games through steam. I know this is hypocritical, but maybe they just handle things better and have been doing it longer that I trust them. I did get portal 2 for PS3, which unlocked it in Steam for PC... I like this concept.
    Last edited by BrokenKingpin; February 5th, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123