Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Monitors Screen Tearing?

Beans

Re: Dual Monitors Screen Tearing?

Quote Originally Posted by BicyclerBoy View Post
    Check both /all ..the monitors OSD info can reveal H&V frequencies..

Twinview should be forcing the vertical freq to be the same but your report of improvement after manually setting the vert rate suggests that fact is incorrect...

The nVidia-settings reported refreshrate may be fake but version 310 & later driver was meant to have corrected this behaviour (according to the release notes).

You can read thru /var/log/Xorg.0.log to find the actual video modes used for each monitor..
    I'm using the 313.18 beta drivers.
    Last edited by croash; February 17th, 2013 at 12:02 AM.

Beans

Anyone found a fix yet?

Beans

I have this same issue with nVidia GTX 660 using triple monitor set up (2x 4:3 1280x1024 DVI monitors, 1x 16:9 1920x1080 HDMI monitor) with nVidia proprietary 313.30 driver on Xubuntu 13.04.

I don't really notice any tearing on the desktop with or without compositing, but when i try to watch video on VLC I do get noticeable tearing. It really sucks to have to either live with the tearing or reboot into windows 7, which doesn't have any tearing problems.

I just noticed that I only have x.org 1.12.4, so I'm thinking of trying to upgrade to 1.13 and the nVidia 319 drivers to see if that helps. I think I might have downgraded to 1.12 when I was using an ATI card before I upgraded, because it was having issues with the multi-monitor support.

What's weird is when I first got this video card I didn't have any trouble with tearing, but something was broken where the direct rendering was disabled and it was using openGL 1.4 instead of 4.3. This caused one of the video games I wanted to play to not work, so I did some sort of fix to get 4.3 working, and I believe that the fix somehow caused the video tearing.

I'm running all the monitors at 60Hz even though the 4:3 ones work at 75Hz as well. For some reason the nVidia settings say that the 4:3 monitors are running at 60.02, so i'm wondering if that .02 is somehow causing the tearing.
    Last edited by webgoddess; May 7th, 2013 at 03:33 AM.

Beans

I have 2 monitors. I've noticed the tearing that you're describing.
    I'm using nvidia driver version 310.44 (313 causes issues w/ my browsers for some reason and I wasn't able to get 319 working at all--though I didn't give it much effort)

At any rate... I've noticed that after ensuring that the sync to vblank in the nvidia-settings -> opengl settings is checked, I only see tearing on one of my monitors.
    The first monitor is listed as 0 and the second is listed as 1. I only see tearing on '1'. I've seen some solutions to video tearing but all seem to involve Compiz or just don't work...

I should also mention the tearing is only noticeable when watching movies on monitor '1'. I've used vlc, mplayer, smlayer and tried setting different video output drivers for each (gl, gl2, xv, vdpau etc. all w/ the same tearing problem)

Anyone have any ideas?

Using Xubuntu 13.04
    Last edited by Octagonal; May 8th, 2013 at 03:50 PM.

Beans

I guess I didn't google hard enough.
    Adding the lines below to my xorg.conf resolved it for me...

Section "Extensions"
    Option "Composite" "Disable"
    EndSection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12