Thread: Ubuntu no longer remembers changes

Beans

Ubuntu no longer remembers changes

I installed pyGObject last night and the newest install of GLIB. Ubuntu no longer remembers changes to my profile. It erased all of my launcher icons and changed my background. When I set new ones, it simply gets rid of them and changes to defualt when I reset my computer.

All of the programs that were on my computer are still there, but the Unity environment seems permanently screwed up. If I try to change my background now, nothing happens. It stays as the default Ubuntu one, same with the theme.

(It appears I can create bookmarks in Firefox still that persist)
    Last edited by cojacfar; March 15th, 2013 at 01:45 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu no longer remembers changes

The guest account will behave this way , but have not seen this in a user account.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

It is in my user account. It is indeed behaving just like a guest account. I've been using it for a few months now, logged into it like normal, and cannot seem to do anything permanent.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Open Home, right click a folder > properties > permission and see if read/write permissions have changed . It reads like all permissions have changed. I am not familiar with what you installed or if it would be the cause.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; March 15th, 2013 at 01:51 AM.

Beans

Says the owner (my user name) can create and delete folders. Same for the group, which is also just my login.

I think it all seems normal. I'm able to apt-get and things like that with sudo just fine still. I followed this guide : http://gtk3lab.blogspot.com/2011/05/...pygobject.html to install GTK3 to use. I'm assuming something in there screwed me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The warning was pretty stern so you may have to wait for someone using the application.

Warning: Some of the packages of Gtk+3 or its dependencies may be experimental. After I installed Gtk+3 and PyGI, I had major issues with Gnome and had to reinstall Ubuntu altogether. I am not sure about the relation between installing Gtk+3, PyGI and the problem I had, but you are warned and should do that at your own risk.

Beans

Thank you for your help. I actually fixed it... somehow. I went through and uninstalled all of the things on that list, and reinstalled appropriate versions. That didn't fix it, but this latest restore from my backup did. Somehow. Any ways, thank you for your time!!