Thread: Serval Mesh: Mobile telephony for the rest of the world

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Serval Mesh: Mobile telephony for the rest of the world

I was notified of this project of f-droid.org today.

From http://www.servalproject.org/
    Communications should not just be for the geographically and financially fortunate — communication should be freely available to everyone.

It shouldn’t matter whether you live in a city or in the bush.
    It shouldn’t matter whether it is economical for a cellular carrier to provide service to your community.
    It shouldn’t matter whether you can afford cellular rates, or have credit on your phone.

Nothing should prevent you from communicating with those near and dear to you.
    We also believe that people should be able to continue to communicate when they need it most.
    In the face of earthquake, wild fire or cyclone, communications systems should keep working as well as they can, with whatever infrastructure remains available.

Serval is revolutionary, free, open-source software under development for mobile telephones, letting them communicate even in the absence of phone towers and other supporting infrastructure.

The initial public release of the software is scheduled for late 2012.

An early-access developer version of our software is available today on the Android Market as the Serval Mesh, or on our Software Page. We also plan to port to Symbian S60, S40 and J2ME compatible phones, common in rural and remote areas and in developing countries.

Why are we doing this, and giving it all away? Because we believe that access to communications and information is a human right. We dream of a world where anyone can be connected, anywhere, anytime.
    Unfortunately, I haven't been able to try it out on 1 rooted Android device (more point network than mesh!), but it certainly feels like OLPC for communication.

Incidentally noted that it's another open source Shuttleworth-funded endeavour. I'm impressed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Red face Re: Serval Mesh: Mobile telephony for the rest of the world

THIS IS AMAZING!!

Wow, you weren't kidding in the other thread that Shuttleworth backs the right projects. Holy moly.