Thread: Asus Laptop Recommendations?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Asus Laptop Recommendations?

I currently have, and love, my EEE PC netbook. However, while it's great for netbooky things, I'm thinking about getting a gaming laptop to WINE the crap out of whatever games I can jury-rig into working order.

Which leads me to my question: which 64-bit Asus laptops have the most compatible video cards? It's a really broad, general question I know, but there are some video cards that have way more driver compatibility and game compatibility than others, and I figured this'd be the best place to ask, given that my goal is to go with Asus again.

Secondary question: which distro is most compatible with the goal of gaming on a laptop? I would guess just straight-up regular ol' Ubuntu, but I'm definitely too much of a newb to do anything but guess.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Asus Laptop Recommendations?

dave, did you ever make a decision on an Asus?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by davethebrave View Post
    I currently have, and love, my EEE PC netbook. However, while it's great for netbooky things, I'm thinking about getting a gaming laptop to WINE the crap out of whatever games I can jury-rig into working order.

Which leads me to my question: which 64-bit Asus laptops have the most compatible video cards? It's a really broad, general question I know, but there are some video cards that have way more driver compatibility and game compatibility than others, and I figured this'd be the best place to ask, given that my goal is to go with Asus again.

Secondary question: which distro is most compatible with the goal of gaming on a laptop? I would guess just straight-up regular ol' Ubuntu, but I'm definitely too much of a newb to do anything but guess.
    First question, which card. Anything nvidia I have had good luck on. ATI, while having open source code, seems less compatible on any system I've tried. Just make sure you download the nvidia drivers after install.

Second question, which distro? I have had good luck with my 10.04 machine, so I updated it to 12.04. No problems to speak of. 10.04 is no longer getting ANY wine support and won't get any support at all soon. so go with 12.04. You may be tempted to go with Mint. I tried it, I thought it would save time, it never truly worked well for me. As far as which version of Ubuntu. go with the just plain Ubuntu 12.04.

I am not a fan of the KDE interface, and you can download the Cinnamon interface for gnome 3 which works very well and you can customize it to look and act VERY similar to gnome 2 if that is what you are used to. You will have to add the PPA for Cinnamon, but it is just about flawless. Well, as flawless as an DE can be. If you like the default theme however, you will have to manually add a new one by replacing the old one in the file structure. But if you are using WINE, I think you can figure it out.

BTW I have a ASUS G72GX (it's a couple years old now) and it works great.

Beans

I have an ASUS G73Sw (ROG) and it's great. Has GTX 460M graphics that has easily handled everything I've thrown at it. The only real flaws it has are the glossy screen and the touchpad is highly sensitive to static. Apparently static is a problem across many ASUS models. If you do go with an ASUS G series, stay away from the Best Buy models. At least with the G73 group, Best Buy was selling them with inferior screens for the same price. Mine has the Hannstar 1080p. Best Buy had them with some cheap 720p screens that had serious quality problems. In a nutshell, they cheated their customers.
    God does not play dice with the universe - Albert Einstein
    Sure I do, I just use loaded dice. - warfacegod

An open forum. Its a free for all. Check us out. https://openlinuxforums.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

glossy screen and the touchpad is highly sensitive to static
    True.

Hi, mine is a G73JH, it has a Radeon 5870 I'm not very happy with the ATI Drivers (free or proprietary), but it works fine on ubuntu ... It has 2.5 years, problems so far, dead battery, clogged heat-sinks(solved)... I had a bizarre hardware problem with my HDDs, the problem was a bad flex cable(solved).... And unbeatable performance/price at that time.