I've installed a new nas/media center with Ubuntu 12.10with the following configuration :
- Mother board : ASUS F2A85-M LE (supposed to manage directly RAID1)
- Ubuntu 12.10 installed on an SSD
- 2x 3Tb that I would like to use for storage and home directories
So, in a first time I tried to use the RAID1 proposed by the mother board, I created it successfully, the bios seeing it correctly.
Once Ubuntu started, I don't see the RAID disk anymore, I see 2 distinct disk of 3Tb each.
I finally disabled the RAID from the mother board and switched to a software RAID.
To do that, I've :
- created a GPT partition table on each disk (using GParted)
- created an ext4 partition of 3Tb on each (using parted)
- build the array to create the RAID volume (using mdadm)
- finally mounted it in /home
This works perfectly except that when I mount the volume, it has a capacity of 2Tb.
There is the entry in /etc/fstab :
root@ubuntu:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1 48G 3.7G 42G 9% /
udev 3.6G 12K 3.6G 1% /dev
tmpfs 1.5G 924K 1.5G 1% /run
none 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock
none 3.6G 164K 3.6G 1% /run/shm
none 100M 52K 100M 1% /run/user
/dev/md126 2.0T 184G 1.7T 10% /home
Does anyone have any idea ?
UUID=6508d199-5bdf-464f-b492-bfa69f3ea79f /home ext4 defaults 0 2