Thread: Desktop Switching Question

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Question Desktop Switching Question

I've been using Ubuntu since 2011, and now I'm using lubuntu. One question that I have is that since the desktop switching works a little differently in lubuntu, I'm unsure how to set it up so that instead of 4 disconnected desktops in a row, I have something similar to Ubuntu where I have 4 desktops with 2 on top and 2 on the bottom which are connected.

By connected I just mean how if a window in Desktop 1 is too wide, it shows up a little bit in Desktop 2, and if it's too long, it shows up in Desktop 3, and if it's too long and too wide, it shows up in both Desktops 2 and 3, with a corner in Desktop 4. This doesn't seem to happen in lubuntu and I don't know if it's just a setting I can't find or if it's something I'd have to install or tweak in terminal.

Thanks in advance for your time!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Desktop Switching Question

Lubuntu/LXDE uses the OpenBox window manager, so you can use the "obconf" program to set the number of virtual desktops. However, in searching how to make 2 "rows" (grid layout), it seems it's not very easy or intuitive:

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help_talk:FA...id_Information

As for windows spanning over to the next virtual desktop, I'm not sure if that's possible...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Unhappy Re: Desktop Switching Question

Quote Originally Posted by kanikilu View Post
    Lubuntu/LXDE uses the OpenBox window manager, so you can use the "obconf" program to set the number of virtual desktops. However, in searching how to make 2 "rows" (grid layout), it seems it's not very easy or intuitive:

http://openbox.org/wiki/Help_talk:FA...id_Information

As for windows spanning over to the next virtual desktop, I'm not sure if that's possible...
    Hmmm, might just switch back to Ubuntu then. Shame, 'cause lubuntu performs a lot faster on this netbook.