Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Install PCSX2 And Get It To Work On Ubuntu

Beans

How To Install PCSX2 And Get It To Work On Ubuntu

Hi I'm having trouble installing the emulator PCSX2 and getting it to work. It was working fine under windows OS but I thought it would be better to switch to Ubuntu since it's free. I really want to be able to play my kingdom hearts game on my Ubuntu computer. Here are my specs the best I know them incase you're wondering.

computer model: HP Pavilion dv6
    graphics: AMD Radeon 6700M series
    processor: intel core i7

can anyone help me. By the way I'm a complete beginner so nothing too difficult.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How To Install PCSX2 And Get It To Work On Ubuntu

Hello,

What is exactly happens when you try to run the emulator or the game? We will need details on the issues in order to offer our best assistance.

Beans

I install it through the terminal using these instructions http://www.eurobytes.nl/tutorials/pc...er-ubuntu.html

Then I select to open though plugin instead of an .iso and when I put my game disc inside my computer and I get a blank/black screen but I can hear some noise. What am I doing wrong do I have to make an .iso of my game. Also how can I get the playstation menu to show up so I can format the memory cards. I prefer to use the virtual memory cards to save states. By the way everything worked fine with a little tweaking when I had a windows 7 OS. I don't want to go back to windows if I have to since windows isn't free to upgrade and open source and isn't as customizable as Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello,

So you have the DVD driver plugin? What kind of noises are they? Of the game, or do they sound more like system error sounds? Yes, you should try making an ISO of the game. You can easily do that through Brasero. But you can also use AcetoneISO to make an ISO like so;

If the ISO doesn't work, then we will have to look into your settings. Do you have the BIOS? You can't play without it. Also, have you tried pcsx2-unstable? It might work for you better.

Beans

I hear what sounds like the playstation starting up and I'll make an .iso of my kingdom hearts game and find out if that works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello,

Alright, I hope it works. But I need to ask if you have the following things or have updated them;

Your drivers
    The BIOS for the system
    Mesa installed (Latest is 8.0.4 I think)

It really sounds like a driver issue to me. I heard nouveau works with people who experience this problem.

But see if this can fix your issue;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrnYlSXhGs0

Since you are a beginner I highly suggest you read the Ubuntu Pocket Guide, or the manual to get you started.

Beans

I made an .iso of the game and when I tried to start it up the program froze. I agree that it might be a driver problem, but I don't know where to get drivers for Ubuntu and how to install them. I'll try nouveau and see if that works.

Beans

I changed my graphics plugin to ZZ Ogl PG 0.4.0 [libzzogl-0.4.0] and now when I run the .iso of my game I get a blank/black screen with some sound again. What should I do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hello,

Definitely sounds like a driver issue. The same thing happens to people with Intel in Ubuntu. Okay, see this link to learn how to install AMD drivers;

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI

Beans

I'm having trouble with the tutorial when I install fglrx and restart my computer I get nothing but the wall paper and have to reinstall Ubuntu and it's getting really late where I'm at so I can't keep restoring Ubuntu.

edit: I was following the wrong tutorial. I had to follow the one for hybrid graphic cards. Now my PCSX2 seems to be working fine
    Last edited by CrystalDreamer59; January 26th, 2013 at 07:28 AM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast