Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New install and updated /etc/fstab rejects password

Beans

Re: New install and updated /etc/fstab rejects password

I just discovered in a Guest session I can still make administrator changes by entering my user password at the prompt. I've changed my settings to automatic login=on but still get the login screen at startup. This setting is preserved after reboot.

Any idea how to let me get in to my account in a graphical session? The other virtual sessions log in as normal and I can view my user folder and files.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by qianian View Post
    $ls -ld ~
    drwxr-xr-x 3 1000 user 4096 Feb 1 07:29 /home/user
    It looks like your UIDs got screwed up so that 'your' home dir no longer belongs to 'you' - that's probably preventing the X server from writing its .Xauthority file

It *may* be as simple as chown'ing /home/user - but I would recommend that you check exactly what users / UIDs /GIDs are defined and if necessary using usermod to get them all back in line (i.e. 1000 == your 'primary' user, 1001 == 'next' user etc.) otherwise you may tie yourself in more knots

You can use the 'id' command (with sudo to see other user's IDs) and/or cat the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files

Beans

Okay, before I try that would it make sense that the virtual sessions behave normally and I can use my user password to do su level tasks once I'm in the Guest session? I was even able to create new users in the Guest session but I can't log in to those accounts from the login screen either.

Beans

How do I find out what the UID and GID are right now? I see a usermod tutorial here: http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/...usermod.8.html

Is it advisable to fix the startup login problem using adduser?

Beans

As I mentioned above, you can use the id command

Code:
    $ sudo id steeldriver
    uid=1003(steeldriver) gid=1003(steeldriver) groups=1003(steeldriver),4(adm),24(cdrom),30(dip),46(plugdev),50(staff),109(lpadmin)
    and/or look at UIDs / GIDs in the 1000's in the /etc/passwd and /etc/group files

Code:
    $ grep '100[0-9]' /etc/passwd
    Code:
    $ grep '100[0-9]' /etc/group
    It *looks* like you have an 'orphaned' UID (1000 - presumably the original primary user) that is no longer associated with a login name, but owns your /home/user directory

Beans

I think that's it! I get:

uid=501(qian) gid=1000(qian) groups=1000(qian),4adm [...]

What chmod should I run, and on any specific file in /home?

Beans

I also get:

$ grep '100[0-9]' /etc/passwd
    qian:501:1000:Full Name,,,:/home/qian:/bin/bash

$ grep '100[0-9]' /etc/group
    qian:1000:

I found this page and was only able to change my UID from 501 to 1000 in /etc/passwd. I got permission denied on the commands starting with "find." Then I rebooted and am in! I'd love it if someone would explain why this mismatch was on my old drive in the first place, and why the old drive works. If there are any pitfalls from what I did please let me know too.
    Last edited by qianian; February 17th, 2013 at 07:24 AM. Reason: executed and solved

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123