Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ubuntu? Xubuntu? Zubuntu? Huh?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu? Xubuntu? Zubuntu? Huh?

Although if you ever played around a bit with a mac in an apple store, and liked it, unity might not seem too strange, except that the "dock" is on the left side inside of the bottom of the screen, but it can "auto-hide" just like it does on a mac...
    And it also has the "global menu" top panel, just like the mac does...

You can also make the icons on the unity dock much smaller, because by default they are kind of large (adjustment available in the system settings for that)...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bartender View Post
    I'd like to add a thing or two.

There are real differences between how the Desktop Environments work. Some you'll like, some you won't. The standard Ubuntu DE is the most fully-featured, but full-featured also means more work for the PC. Generally speaking, every feature that adds convenience also adds complexity.

For instance, in Ubuntu you can middle-click your mouse on a file, then drag it to a new destination, and you'll get the Context Menu asking whether you want to copy or move. Just like a right-click & drag in Windows. Try this in Xubuntu and nothing happens.
    Small correction, Unity isn't really any more "fully-featured" than KDE; therefore Kubuntu is just as fully-featured as standard Ubuntu. To your example, Dolphin (the file manager in KDE) gives a context menu just like you described. On the other hand, Xubuntu and Lubuntu are lightweight desktop environments and could probably be considered less fully-featured.

In general, though, the different *untus are the same except for the desktop environment and installed software, as others have said.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by puzzledinportorchard View Post
    This is a silly question, but - at this site it seems important to know which distribution, or flavor, or whatever, of Linux you are using. The information page I got from the people (FreeGeek) I got the refurbished machine from, who were the ones who put the operating system on, says it's Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. The screen that boots up just before the log-in screen says Xubuntu. I tried uname -a but nothing is said either way. Is there a command that will tell me? I've no idea why it matters, but you good folk seem to think it does, so . . .
    Different gui but same base system. For example xubuntu is ubuntu with the xfce gui.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, is there such a distro as zubuntu?

And if so, what desktop does it run?
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Actually, is there such a distro as zubuntu?

And if so, what desktop does it run?
    Just let your fingers do the walking ...

http://www.omegamoon.com/blog/index....y081030-074514

Doesn't look like it's seen much action in awhile, though.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Actually I pronounce Xubuntu like Zoo-bun-tu. Like Xylophone or Xenia.

12.04 runs better and faster on my old computer than Windows XP did brand new, and it's alot easier to use.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123