Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu? Xubuntu? Zubuntu? Huh?

Ubuntu? Xubuntu? Zubuntu? Huh?

This is a silly question, but - at this site it seems important to know which distribution, or flavor, or whatever, of Linux you are using. The information page I got from the people (FreeGeek) I got the refurbished machine from, who were the ones who put the operating system on, says it's Ubuntu 12.04.1 LTS. The screen that boots up just before the log-in screen says Xubuntu. I tried uname -a but nothing is said either way. Is there a command that will tell me? I've no idea why it matters, but you good folk seem to think it does, so . . .

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu? Xubuntu? Zubuntu? Huh?

Xubuntu has the classic top bar with a menu icon that looks like a mouse head ......

Beans

Smile Re: Ubuntu? Xubuntu? Zubuntu? Huh?

So I'm a complete newbie to Ubuntu/Linux and I'm also confused by the variants or flavors. Zubuntu, Chrubuntu, Xubuntu.

What does all that mean?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by mike555 View Post
    Xubuntu has the classic top bar with a menu icon that looks like a mouse head ......
    Um - okay. I'm sure that, with the fullness of time, I will understand the difference. So I'm running Xubuntu. And you're right. I does look like a mouse-head. Now I've got that image in my mind, I'll always look at that symbol and think, "It's wondering what the hell I'm doing."

And so am I.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi,

Here is a little more on the subject -

http://www.ubuntu.com/project/about-ubuntu/derivatives

Googlubuntu is a good tool for finding out things - see link in my signature.

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

PopularPages Wiki Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by puzzledinportorchard View Post
    Um - okay. I'm sure that, with the fullness of time, I will understand the difference. So I'm running Xubuntu. And you're right. I does look like a mouse-head. Now I've got that image in my mind, I'll always look at that symbol and think, "It's wondering what the hell I'm doing."

And so am I.

You are not alone. I feel that way a lot.
    zealibib slaughter is a dwarven paladin of ill temperment played by a fat man of jolly temperment.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I felt that way too at first, but after awhile the quirks from each different flavor grow on you, and for basic core functions they are mostly exactly the same, the difference is the look, feel, and warm fuzzy feelings each different flavor gives you. Xfe or Xubuntu and Lxe or Lubuntu tend to be lighter weight for older systems, so that you get the sensation of speed and power.

Welcome to your new linux life!

At least you nice people are making us klunks feel welcome, and marginally less bewildered. For that, and the patience - Thanks!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by puzzledinportorchard View Post
    At least you nice people are making us klunks feel welcome, and marginally less bewildered. For that, and the patience - Thanks!
    I think you will find one big happy family here -

Main thing to remember is to stay happy and join in -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

PopularPages Wiki Thread

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Welcome. We're here to help.

Depending on what machine you have, you might consider reinstalling whatever version of 'ubuntu you want. They're basically the same under hood but with different desktop environments, pre-installed applications and footprints.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast