Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Somebody's not playing fair! Virus...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Somebody's not playing fair! Virus...

I have to say I have not had a very good experience with Ubuntu. Not only the problem with having to learn a whole new process. Also, having to deal with malware when there is no visible Anti virus or anti malware that we can use to keep out the little critters. Clam TK is useless. I have had to install several times now and my patience is wearing thin! I am going to try one last time and start with a clean Install.
    Would any members of the Ubuntu community like to suggest how to keep a cleanish computer please fire away!

(Whist I am doing a clean install that is!)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Somebody's not playing fair! Virus...

I don't think I've ever had a viral infection on my linux boxes, ClamAV and the attendant modules that go with it have always done the job superbly, quietly, and without my interference or direction.

I'd be interested to hear more about this viral infection please.

For a more windows like experience try another flavor such as Kubuntu or Xubuntu
    Last edited by Grinage; February 1st, 2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: additional info

Beans
    Hidden!

Computer security is a process, which begins with what you allow on your computer and what you run.

Some information about antivirus software for Ubuntu can be found here:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Antivirus
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Linuxvirus
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinage View Post
    I don't think I've ever had a viral infection on my linux boxes, ClamAV and the attendant modules that go with it have always done the job superbly, quietly, and without my interference or direction.

I'd be interested to hear more about this viral infection please.

For a more windows like experience try another flavor such as Kubuntu or Xubuntu
    @ Grinage

I can here the computer revving up to full blast and the computer becomes unusable.

The point is from my point of view is that Ubuntu can never be a viable option for the masses until there are suitable AV and malware protection which would cost loads on this format because no-one wants to pay for it!

But that's another story I don't want to get into...

@ lisati

Being a noob! I can only guess what you actually mean... I have in good faith installed what I deem fit. Does that mean I'm stupid?

Chrome 4 Viri so clam says Quarantined!
    Hp printer
    Kazam screencaster
    Compiz settings manager
    Compiz fusion Icon
    Clam TK
    Bombono DVD
    Skype VLC player

Nothing else?

Beans
    Distro

Interesting links, lisati, I'd still like to know more about Tarka Dal's virus situation. I've seen people create virus like problems on their box but assuming ClamAV and the other associated components that help secure your system are installed, configured, and working, I really want to know more about the specifics of the infection.

Beans
    Hidden!

I haven't encountered a need for anti-virus on my Ubuntu installations in the 5 years I've been using Ubuntu. I do, however, use it on my email server out of courtesy to the Windows users I interect with.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

There is also a problem with cross-platforms. If you have a virus in Ubuntu it could multiply fast on Windows machines and cause havoc on Linux and vice versa! There is no cross-platform AV.
    So, is there "No" better AV than ClamTK?
    Last edited by Tarka Dal; February 1st, 2013 at 05:55 AM.

Beans
    Distro

So let me see if I understand this correctly, you've just completely wiped your install and done a clean installation from a live CD/USB, and after the reboot it immediately halts?

As for Clam, there are several additional components of Clam that may or may not apply to your specific application, clam TK by itself is nothing but a front end for clamAV you also need to make sure you install freshclam and if you're using some type of mail server spamassassin to help stop the spread of viral infections.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Grinage View Post
    So let me see if I understand this correctly, you've just completely wiped your install and done a clean installation from a live CD/USB, and after the reboot it immediately halts?

As for Clam, there are several additional components of Clam that may or may not apply to your specific application, clam TK by itself is nothing but a front end for clamAV you also need to make sure you install freshclam and if you're using some type of mail server spamassassin to help stop the spread of viral infections.
    Ok I'll deal with the last bit first...
    No email gets on my computer so no need for freshclam.
    I had been on the computer for an hour then opened up Kazam then about a half an hour later this Virus kicked in. I couldn't move my cursor and I could here the computer ramp up like on windows when you got a virus...Then I shutdown the computer. On restart I was working again for five minutes then the same thing happened again!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Tarka Dal View Post
    The point is from my point of view...
    Which appears to be coming from a Windows' or Mac world.

A Linux machine can be cracked into... but it takes a very concentrated effort, such as social cracking, weak pass words, etc.

Linux is different from Windows or Mac, in that the system is hardened, whether it be the SELinux layer in Fedora or root disabled in Ubuntu. ClamAV on Linux, is to scan for threats to Windows machines - so as, you do not pass on malware to a friend using Windows, such as through an email.

First and foremost, a strong pass word in Linux is key.

And I would offer that there are several honey pot projects out there - people placing a Linux machine on the web with the challenge to crack it. Difficult to do, and a learning process to further harden Linux.

You would not do this with a Windows or Mac machine - in fact, most come loaded with third party protection programs to activate before you get on the web

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast