Thread: Problemc installing from CD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Problemc installing from CD

I'm not sure where I should have posted this but here is the problem I am having.

When I boot my HP laptop with a Live CD, some distros boot properly but the screen looks awful. It doesn't look normal. Some distros have a safe mode option in the Grub menu but this still causes the screen to look funny. So, it goes without saying that I am unable to install the distro. One of the distros I am trying to install is Watt OS 6. Puppy Linux is fine after booting.

What should I do? Sounds like a driver issue?
    Randy McElligott
    www.mcran.com

For the best in Jazz, In Transition every Sunday from noon-2pm EST www.chuo.fm

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problemc installing from CD

I am only familiar with one distribution - Ubuntu. The Ubuntu live session uses the nouveau open source video driver. A proprietary video driver is installed either during the installation to the hard disk (by ticking Install Third Party Software) or after (by using Additional Drivers).

I cannot speak for other distributions but I guess that they also use the open source driver during live sessions.

You can try installing a proprietary driver whilst in the live session but once the session is closed the settings would be lost.

You should still be able to install the distribution.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: Problemc installing from CD

Do you know the make and model video chipset on the HP? If not, next time you boot a Linux distro, open a terminal and enter "lspci" and look for the line containing "VGA". That will provide you the information.
    Ubuntu 14.04, Mint 17; MS Win 8.1.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.