Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: daily'live'i386/ubuntu Unity Panel workspace switcher gone

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

daily'live'i386/ubuntu Unity Panel workspace switcher gone

Workspace switcher in unity panel is gone.

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: daily'live'i386/ubuntu Unity Panel workspace switcher gone

Did you enable the multiple workspaces from the settings panel?
    .daniel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The workspace switcher is disabled by default in Ubuntu 13.04.

Go to System Settings>Appearance>Behavior to re-enable it.
    (If you don't have an Appearance panel, make sure you have gnome-control-center-unity installed).

Beans

The current state is -
    By default workspaces is disabled so a 1x1 layout, no icon in launcher
    If you enable Workspaces you'll get a 2x2 layout & launcher icon(s), which depends on current Ws

If Workspaces is enabled & you use any layout other than 2x2 each time you open the Appearances panel you'll be auto switched back to 2x2

Only the 2x2 layout will get the changing Ws icon, any other layout will just use the left-top icon (unless modified in source for a specific non 2x2 layout

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jbicha View Post
    The workspace switcher is disabled by default in Ubuntu 13.04.

Go to System Settings>Appearance>Behavior to re-enable it.
    (If you don't have an Appearance panel, make sure you have gnome-control-center-unity installed).
    Ok .. thanks .. works great. I am not sure why they removed that as default setting for 'live" as I used it as a sort of tool to get a live visual that my graphics were working.

The iso is working a lot better on intel graphics .. no more flickering and sporadic flashing during bootup of live.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The current state is -
    By default workspaces is disabled so a 1x1 layout, no icon in launcher
    If you enable Workspaces you'll get a 2x2 layout & launcher icon(s), which depends on current Ws

If Workspaces is enabled & you use any layout other than 2x2 each time you open the Appearances panel you'll be auto switched back to 2x2

Only the 2x2 layout will get the changing Ws icon, any other layout will just use the left-top icon (unless modified in source for a specific non 2x2 layout

Yes .. thanks mac4man. You had mentioned this in another thread and I just forgot.

Long day ...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thank you for this thread! I thought the workspace switcher was suddenly removed.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by epikvision View Post
    Thank you for this thread! I thought the workspace switcher was suddenly removed.
    +1 This was a complete fail for me. I almost switched back to 12.10 because of it.
    64-Bit Ubuntu 12.04 (NEVER buy an HP laptop)

Beans
    Distro

This is one of those things which cadence testing cannot provide statistics for. During the development of the Unity Interface I had learned to use the <workspace switcher> to edge test my graphics adaptors (to see if the graphics drivers were working). Having the workspace switcher at hand it saved a lot of down time. I could usually tell if an install was borked (or big changes were made) by the fail of the <workspace switcher>.

Now it's gone and there is a little more fandangling that we have to do. Why? I have no idea. I mean they could have removed that at final release but why make it more difficult for beta testers when they are trying to move along throughout the testing process? Creating more down-time just totally impedes the whole testing process.

At least thats my take on the whole matter .. and again .. this too came without warning. If I were a unity developer it probably would not matter to me. But unity developers have to start looking at these changes from the perspective view of beta testers and not Turing machines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The current state is -

Why is this the case? I find it particularly annoying that each time Settings is launched the workspaces switches back to 2x2. Is there any way to work around this issue?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast