Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Discussion - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Discussion - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/NewDocs

Is there any way to get a link to NewDocs from the Community Help Wiki main page? I browsed through all the links there but, unless I missed it, didn't find one for NewDocs. Otherwise it seems that the only way to find it is from the Ubuntu Forum.

I also submitted NewDoc's URL to Google and Bing. What that all right?
    "Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects." Will Rogers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Buntu Bunny,

I am not sure that having a link to the page that you mentioned would be any answer. There are many other wikis that would have a sound argument I think for having the same.

Within the wiki thread itself there are many links to NewDocs both within signatures and embedded in the posts themselves. Personally I think that is enough, although I am always open to positive suggestions.

As to your thoughts re Google and Bing, NewDocs (or newdocs) already ranks at number two in the two Google search engines available here in Australia. I couldn't find NewDocs in Bing. Mentioning NewDocs to Bing can't do any harm. I personally think that the majority of users will come from a gradual growth in numbers brought about by the kindness of users such as yourself who are prepared to have a link in their signatures.

Once Newdocs is rocksolid in it's structure, I would love to see it as a Sticky in the Beginners forums. Having such a large signup figure each day makes the forums a great potential market for NewDocs. However I would like to say that the last two sentences many not be possible to implement.

Cheers -

Edit : I would suggest to all who may miss it, that slickymaster's post #50 is worth reading.
    Last edited by BlinkinCat; May 20th, 2013 at 02:37 AM.
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

PopularPages Wiki Thread

Beans
    Distro

Points taken, BlinkinCat. I have to say that as a resource, NewDocs is shaping up beautifully. With your groundwork and the recent additions by Slickymaster, it is certainly worthy of a sticky, (IMHO), whether it becomes one or not. I'm already finding information on things I've been wanting to research. I've always relied heavily on searching the forums, but NewDocs is definitely easier to use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, a Level assignment or tag would be helpful to the community documentation. Perhaps a color-coded tag or a 1 through 5 Level assigment for each page might be useful. I don't think such a feature is built into the wiki engine, so we would have to rely on tags or some other annotation method.

As an example:

Level 1 Beginner Level. Basic point and click instructions using the current graphical interface. Point the mouse to a menu and select an option to activate a feature.

Level 2 Medium Level. You might have to dig through tabs or used advanced features within a dialog box to find a configuration item. Changing such an item might effect other aspects of system operation, so be aware of that. Changing themes, colors, or resolution would be an example.

Level 3 Advanced Level. You should know how to open a terminal window and type simple commands. Understand case-sensitivity and correct typing are required. Must know how to open a manual page for a given command: man cp Know how to search google or the forums for answers to common or obscure problems as they arise.

Level 4 Old Hat Level. You can install and remove packages with ease at the command line, You know the linux file system structure like your neighborhood streets--including finding your way home when you get lost. You know where log files are and how to read them when things break. You know how to fix things and you acknowledge that you get to keep the pieces when you break things. It's your system. It continues to be your system even after you break it. You acknowledge that it may take time and patience to fix things. It may be more time than you have.

Level 5 Guru Level. Your bean count is in triple digits and you get annoyed easily. But you know how to compile a kernel and are aware that everything in linux is fixable.

---------------------------------

Regarding Iptables

There should be a paragraph right up front that says something to the effect:

iptables is an administrative tool for filtering packets and is used as part of a Network Address Translation (NAT) system. You need to be familiar with the TCP/IP protocol, the general workings of the networking framework (or "stack" as it is sometimes called) and how data packets are built, sent, read, and processed. You create policies (or rules) for how to handle certain packets. iptables is generally used for blocking unwanted websites or spam or other undesirable web traffic, but it can be used for sophisticated traffic handling. This is a Level 4 topic.

--------------------------------

The above paragraph would have several links to documentation pages for the above prerequisites that were called out. For instance for Internet Protocol (IP) you could use this, but your eyes would glaze over. So perhaps you could link this.

Linux becomes much easier to learn when you appreciate how many layers are used to build it. Then it simply becomes a matter of time to read about all of the layers. A lot of this stuff is 30 years old, so if you aren't familiar with these concepts, you have 30 years of reading to catch up.
    Last edited by tgalati4; May 20th, 2013 at 03:38 AM.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro

Tgalati4, excellent!!! Doing this for all the wiki pages would be a huge project but, oh, so helpful. It's true what you've said about Linux being like learning maths or a foreign language. The layers concept is well put and helps give shape to the entire Linux concept. It's been a maze for me, just trying to figure out where to begin.

(And I have to mention that your user level descriptions are delightful.)

I think Ubuntu, with its graphical interfaces, has done an excellent job of making Linux accessible for the average computer user. At some point, however, an OP needs more. The forum is always my starting place, but the community wiki and especially NewDocs can, and should, be an invaluable, go-to resource for everyone. What you have been describing Tgalati4, makes them valuable not only as that resource, but as a learning tool as well.
    Last edited by Buntu Bunny; May 20th, 2013 at 11:54 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

The challenge with Ubuntu spreading linux to the masses is that it is now outside of the domain of Computer Science majors in college. Apple did a nice job hiding all of the gritty details of Unix (a similar, and earlier operating system), but open iTerm on a Mac computer and 80% of the linux commands will work. The GNU utilities (most of the stuff in /usr/bin) came from Unix. GNU is Not Unix (GNU) is an important part of the operating system. That is why you frequently see reference to GNU/Linux since Linux is really just the kernel, and the GNU utilities run on top of the kernel. So together they make the operating system. Of course you need a windowing system, X-Windows and now xorg and soon to be Wayland and/or Mir. Most folks just call it linux for simplicity, but computer scientists and purists know it as GNU/Linux. Ubuntu took Debian (by Deb and Ian Murdock) and added some Orange, Purple, and Brown, and put it on a CD. So besides layers and frameworks of linux, there is the history behind the Ubuntu distribution.

So between the history and the frameworks that make up linux, that adds up to a lot of documentation: 4,000 pages of general community documentation and 1,000 pages for the more active pages in NewDocs. That is why telling a person who is new to linux to "Read the Fricken Manual--RTFM" is not helpful, because there is so much documentation that one does not know where to start.

So yes, organizing these pages is a huge undertaking.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi all,

Revamping of AlterationsToNewDocs Page:

I having been thinking about the changes to the AlterationsToNewDocs Page.

This is what I came up with today -

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AlterationsToNewDocs

I would appreciate feedback on the worth of this page, alternatively you have my

permission to edit it yourself. Up to now, this page has been a bit of a mess.

If anyone can give me any pointers regarding a better layout and/or wording it

would be greatly appreciated. Kindly post your thoughts here.

With kind regards,

BlinkinCat -

PopularPages Wiki Thread

Beans
    Distro

BlinkinCat, you continue to make good progress on this project. You are probably already planning to do this, but in this sentence,

If you are unfamiliar with wiki editing, post a suggestion (including any necessary links) within a post in the Discussion Thread
    perhaps a link to the Discussion Thread(?)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Buntu Bunny View Post
    BlinkinCat, you continue to make good progress on this project. You are probably already planning to do this, but in this sentence,

perhaps a link to the Discussion Thread(?)
    Sounds real good - thanks Buntu Bunny - will do! -

PopularPages Wiki Thread

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hi all,

Just a short post to announce that MG&TL has very kindly revamped the NewDocs Face-Page.

I think it looks terrific.

Click on my signature link to have a look.

With kind regards,

BlinkinCat -

PopularPages Wiki Thread

Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast