Thread: How to disable screensaver/blank screen in 12.10

Hybrid View

Beans

How to disable screensaver/blank screen in 12.10

Hello guys, I am running an application in fullscreen. The application is signageplayer from digitalsignage. Its an application that shows ads, news and such.

But the problem is that my screen keeps blanking every 5-10 minutes. I have turned off the settings for this in Brightness and Lock, but to no avail. I've also tried to run the following command

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver idle-activation-enabled false

but still no go. Is there a way to prevent the screen going blank in 12.10?

In windows, you can actually make a batch file, then convert it to an executable file, and then change the extension from .exe to .scr and have the batch file run as the screensaver. You can set the batch file to do whatever you like, such as for example not do anything at all.

Is this possible in Ubuntu/Linux)? Because then I could run a batch file as the screen saver, and instead of it going blank, it would do nothing at all, which would solve the problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: How to disable screensaver/blank screen in 12.10

Hi,

This thread may be of assistance -

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2059551

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans

Thanks. I've tried to install Caffeine on my test computer. The first time I managed to run Caffeine preferences and set it to start automatically at logon, but it does not seem to start, and when I try to access it from Dash, nothing happens.

On my production computer, the strange thing is that the screen only goes blank when I am running that application. If I leave the screen on desktop, with or without a terminal window started, it does not go blank.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Balthier1979 View Post
    Thanks. I've tried to install Caffeine on my test computer. The first time I managed to run Caffeine preferences and set it to start automatically at logon, but it does not seem to start, and when I try to access it from Dash, nothing happens.

On my production computer, the strange thing is that the screen only goes blank when I am running that application. If I leave the screen on desktop, with or without a terminal window started, it does not go blank.
    Hi,

Have read the guides ? You could search for them in Googlubuntu (link on my signature) I only briefly ran Caffeine (no longer do, but I know others swear by it) From what I remember you have to add the apps that you do not wish to start in the GUI. One of those was gnome-screensaver from memory. I have xubuntu now and no longer need Caffeine.

Hope that helps,

Cheers -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.
    PopularPages Wiki Thread
    My New Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    Hi,

Have read the guides ? You could search for them in Googlubuntu (link on my signature) I only briefly ran Caffeine (no longer do, but I know others swear by it) From what I remember you have to add the apps that you do not wish to start in the GUI. One of those was gnome-screensaver from memory. I have xubuntu now and no longer need Caffeine.

Hope that helps,

Cheers -
    Code:
    $ gnome-screensaver-command --help
    Usage:
      gnome-screensaver-command [OPTION...]

Help Options:
      -h, --help           Show help options

Application Options:
      --exit               Causes the screensaver to exit gracefully
      -q, --query          Query the state of the screensaver
      -t, --time           Query the length of time the screensaver has been active
      -l, --lock           Tells the running screensaver process to lock the screen immediately
      -a, --activate       Turn the screensaver on (blank the screen)
      -d, --deactivate     If the screensaver is active then deactivate it (un-blank the screen)
      -V, --version        Version of this application

$ ps -e | grep screen
     1503 ?        00:00:00 gnome-screensav
    I wonder if killing the process would help ?

Beans

I'm afraid to install Caffeine on my production computer, as installing it on my test computer did not give the desired results.

Is the screensaver just a file, like it is in Windows? Is there a way I can just rename that file perhaps, then the OS would not have any screensaver to run?

I've read around a little, and found a few interesting tips, such as this thread

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...ht=screensaver

but I am not quite able to comprehend what I am supposed to do, as I am quite new to Ubuntu. So I tried to run the following commands

xset dpms 0 0 0
    xset s noblank
    xset -dpms

Then logged off and logged and, but still the same problem. So I tried to restart the computer, and now I only get a blank screen at log on. I am able to open a terminal session with ctrl+alt+F1, but when I run xset q, I get the following error message

"unable to open display"

Help
    Last edited by Balthier1979; January 31st, 2013 at 01:07 PM.