Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Stuck in Terminal (TTY1) [Version 12.10]

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Stuck in Terminal (TTY1) [Version 12.10]

Quote Originally Posted by mc5 View Post
    Any time I type "sudo apt-get update", I get a long list of errors and "Failed to fetch" listing the temporary failure resolving ubuntu.com sites.
    it could be that your network card was not correctly configured or is not configured at all, it's kind of a pain to do this without a gui but it can be done if the above error is all you're getting.

Beans

Is there anyway to configure the network card?

Also, I'm in the middle of installing the Ubuntu Desktop 12.10 and it's taking a really long time on the "Preparing to install Ubuntu" screen. Is this normal?

Beans
    Distro

depending on hardware it's hard to define long, but typically the installs shouldn't take longer than half an hour to an hour at the longest, although this can be longer on older hardware, and once the Ubuntu Desktop is finished it will be easier to tell whether or not you have network support and what steps you need to take to correct it if not from there.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Grinage View Post
    depending on hardware it's hard to define long, but typically the installs shouldn't take longer than half an hour to an hour at the longest, although this can be longer on older hardware, and once the Ubuntu Desktop is finished it will be easier to tell whether or not you have network support and what steps you need to take to correct it if not from there.
    Alright. I'm going through the installation again. I guess I'm on the "Try Ubuntu" portion of my disc since I quit the installation process before.

I'm at 'Preparing to Install Ubuntu'. The first three boxes (has at least 4.8 GB available drive space, is plugged in to a power source, and is connected to the Internet) are all checked.

'Downloading updates while installing' is checked.

'Install this third party software' is checked.

But it's still taking some time. Already 15-20 mins. Is this normal?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Yes.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Distro

the install is checking for updates and downloading them and and there can be quite a few, although 15-20 isn't bad, unfortunately there's not really an indicator as to how long the downloads will take, it depends both on your hardware and your internet connection. your install is only as fast as it's slowest component, and if that's your internet connection then you could be in for a wait. Be patient, as long as the Installation doesn't hang or give you a kernel panic you should be alright.

Beans

the install is checking for updates and downloading them and and there can be quite a few, although 15-20 isn't bad, unfortunately there's not really an indicator as to how long the downloads will take, it depends both on your hardware and your internet connection. your install is only as fast as it's slowest component, and if that's your internet connection then you could be in for a wait. Be patient, as long as the Installation doesn't hang or give you a kernel panic you should be alright.
    I'm still at the same screen.

Beans
    Distro

does your machine have an HDD indicator that tells you when the hdd is access files? adding up the time between posts you should be nearly finished with the install from the time you first posted about it being slow. There's a chance there's a minimized debconf screen waiting for input from you, and of course it will sit there and do nothing until you enter the information. Try ALT+TAB ing to see if there are hidden screens you can't see, also if your keyboard has indicator lights for CAPSLOCK and NUMLOCK try activating these keys to check if they light up, if they do not then your install has frozen. if that's the case that's a whole other realm of troubleshooting if a replacement live cd doesn't turn the trick.
    Last edited by Grinage; February 1st, 2013 at 03:34 AM.

Beans

does your machine have an HDD indicator that tells you when the hdd is access files? adding up the time between posts you should be nearly finished with the install from the time you first posted about it being slow. There's a chance there's a minimized debconf screen waiting for input from you, and of course it will sit there and do nothing until you enter the information. Try ALT+TAB ing to see if there are hidden screens you can't see, also if your keyboard has indicator lights for CAPSLOCK and NUMLOCK try activating these keys to check if they light up, if they do not then your install has frozen. if that's the case that's a whole other realm of troubleshooting if a replacement live cd doesn't turn the trick.
    Just tried ALT+TAB ing but found no other windows or screens. I also do not have lights for CAPSLOCK or NUMLOCK on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro

This wouldn't be an Aspire Laptop would it?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast