Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Sectors in a WD 40GB HDD?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Bad Sectors in a WD 40GB HDD?

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Doubt they'll be another one. Probably just the dregs of what was left from the final update which was probably around October 2012. Also, if you had third-party PPAs (manually added repositories) they'll keep updating until the dev stops maintaining them and updating the PPA.
    Bucky Ball, thanks for the clarification on those updates.....never expected them.
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

All good, my theory. If you really wanted to check you could 'uname -r' and compare the kernel you get with the final kernel update for 11.04.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cybrsaylr View Post
    I installed a 128GB SSD as a boot drive with only 12.04 on it. Thus had 2 drives, SSD with 12.04 LTS and a 2TB drive with Windows 7. Didn't install ANY GRUB bootloader since W7 was seldom used and preferred going right into Ubuntu. Thus 12.04 started in ~20 seconds with no GRUB delay. If I wanted to boot into W7 it was very easy to do with SATA. You just hit F12 upon booting and select the HDD for boot. This worked great for almost a week. Then after some 12.04 updates Ubuntu auto-installed GRUB and the traditional bootloader was installed tailored to my 2 drive configuration without me doing a thing!
    FYI, Grub was always installed. But, when Grub detects only one OS, it doesn't show you a boot menu. (Unless you hold down the "Shift" key I believe - think that still works.) But if a 2nd OS like Windows is detected, then it shows you a menu.

What probably happened is that originally, Grub didn't detect Windows. Hard drive not connected? Or something like that. But an update ran the "update-grub" command that detected Windows 7, so it added it to the boot menu and started showing the menu upon startup.

Just yesterday something unusual happened with that PC with 11.04. Haven't used that PC in over a month or so and I know 11.04 is no longer supported....Update Manager did a popup stating this. However after a few seconds Update Manager showed there were 108 updates updates available totaling 251 MEGS! I clicked on update and Ubuntu updated those 108 updates to 11.04, which really surprised me, then said to restart since there were kernel upgrades! Didn't expect this at all and wonder how this even came about?
    Those were the last updates for 11.04 that you never installed before. For the moment, the repository servers are still active, but at some point they will be shut off. I found this out with an old 10.10 installation I don't use for much. I tried to install something and found that all of the source links in my repository were now broken. The same will surely happen soon enough with 11.04.

Beans

Nice explanation ahallubuntu, I just want to add a comment.

Thus had 2 drives, SSD with 12.04 LTS and a 2TB drive with Windows 7...<snip>...If I wanted to boot into W7 it was very easy to do with SATA. You just hit F12 upon booting and select the HDD for boot.
    @cybrsaylr
    You happened to actually have the kind of setup I 'Recommend' for people having more than one drive and multiple OS. That is - each hard disk having its own OS and bootloader. Then it is usually just a matter of hitting a key (like F12 in your case) during boot-up to choose between desired drives to boot their own OS.

This ensures that the system remains bootable if any of the drives or the OS on them fails.

However, a grub update in ubuntu has the tendency to install grub boot-loader on the drive which it 'sees' as the 'first' drive. So I recommend to set the Ubuntu drive as the 'first' one in BIOS so the windows boot loader doesn't get accidently overwritten during a grub update. To be extra sure, I even advise to 'remove' the other drive(s) while installing OS on one drive.

In this case, a grub update detects the other OS on the other drive > includes it in its menu to be presented on the next boot, but doesn't touch the boot loader on the other drive. So even if you remove the Ubuntu drive later, the system is able to boot from the other drive using its own boot loader and pertaining OS.

Hope I didn't confuse you.

Cheers!
    Varun
    Help others by marking threads as [SOLVED], if they are. (See how)
    Wireless Script | Use Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Not confusing at all varunendra.
    In fact we discussed this in this tread, along with a way to keep GRUB from updating if you prefer using F12 or whatever for selecting which OS to boot.
    In post #7 darkod explains how to do this:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2097492
    Ubuntu 20.04.06 LTS 64bit Ext4 on a Dell Studio XPS Desktop Intel® Core™ i7-860 2.8GHz, 8GB DDR3 ram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12