Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Apps that should come installed with Ubuntu

Beans

Re: Apps that should come installed with Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by collisionystm View Post
    Considering the Ubuntu distro as it sits is no longer a standard CD size, 700mb, and is now 768MB, I think its safe to say we are not limited by space. I think everyone should be free to traverse ideas up to a full 4.7GB dvd.

Windows and OSX use a DVD size.

Have an Ubuntu full install on a dvd, and a minimal live cd, just like OpenSuse.

I like the idea of multiple sizes of Ubuntu to download. It would be cool if there was a full DVD installation size that contained more programs, including a lot of the great ones that were compiled on this list.

Also, I think it is important to maintain as said in this thread the feeling of customization by offering a minimal installation where you can pick and choose what you want to install based off a smaller/minimal Ubuntu package.

Beans

I guess terminator included would be nice.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by linuxcoffeelover View Post
    I guess terminator included would be nice.
    That's a nice one! Hadn't seen that before! That would be a good one to have!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Some Programs I use regularly that would be a great addition to the default program list:

Gimp
    Guake Terminal
    Filezilla
    Everpad
    Gnome tweak tool
    Gparted
    Iced tea web start
    and Chrome

Beans

Also Focuswriter (an excellent full-screen word processor/editor for people with ADHD) and Netflix-Desktop (sooo happy we can watch Netflix in Linux now!).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pierceTN View Post
    Some Programs I use regularly that would be a great addition to the default program list:

Gimp
    Guake Terminal
    Filezilla
    Everpad
    Gnome tweak tool
    Gparted
    Iced tea web start
    and Chrome
    Is gparted not included anymore or is it just hidden from the menus? Pretty sure it was on the live cd. Also would there be any legal ramifications for a distro that shipped with chrome?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm going to side with the minimalists who reject the premise of this thread, while also noting that the OP was asking only to get a sense of what apps others valued.

Even though we are in the era of the DVD-size distro .iso I really, really, really don't want Ubuntu to turn out like some monstrosity like Sabyon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    Is gparted not included anymore or is it just hidden from the menus? Pretty sure it was on the live cd. Also would there be any legal ramifications for a distro that shipped with chrome?
    I'm pretty sure I had to install Gparted. I don't know if Chrome would have any legal ordeals or not, if you can install it in Ubuntu I don't know why it couldn't be installed by default...

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    gparted is never included, at least since 10.04 (when I started using Ubuntu) It is always in the live iso though. Chrome is proprietary that's why it is not even in the repo. Easy enough to just download and install from google though.
    Last edited by monkeybrain2012; February 2nd, 2013 at 06:30 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain2012 View Post
    Chrome is proprietary that's why it is not even in the repo. Easy enough to just download and install from google though.
    So is flash, yet somehow I can still install it from the repos.(Though it is now getting aged.)
    There are lots of proprietary software available through various repos, like the canonical partners repo.(skype)
    I think chrome unavailable in the repos is a google decision, and not an Ubuntu decision.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast