Thread: Please help me!

Hybrid View

Beans

Question Please help me!

Hello gents,
    I'm completely new to Ubuntu, I love it.
    I have some question to solve, Please help me

1) How to install .tar.bz2 file
    2) how to login as root

p.s.: Im using ubuntu 9.10
    <EOF>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Please help me!

Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Welcome to the forums,

Have a look here for info on tar

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/CompilingEasyHowTo

For root you can do su - at the command line or sudo to execute individual commands, sudo is the preferred way, running as root is not recommended.

Why are you on 9.10? It hasn't been supported for well over a year, before you get too involved I would install 12.04, you'll find things to be much easier, and you'll get the security updates your system should have.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Welcome to the forums.

Couple of points: We are not all gents here, despite the stereotype (this includes staff members, though I am a gent).

To increase your chances of help use descriptive thread titles. This one is generic and tells us nothing and some will just move on. It can be changed by editing the first post and clicking Go Advanced.

9.10 was out of support for years (October 2010) and hasn't gotten security updates since. If you are going online with this machine there will be vulnerabilities and not advisable.

Please upgrade by a fresh install of 12.04 LTS, supported until 2017. If you don't like the Unity desktop environment (try it from the install disk first), try another flavour; Kubuntu, Lubuntu or Xubuntu (or any of a heap of others). Xubuntu is pretty close to the older releases of Ubuntu.

PS: Why would you want to log in as root? Not advisable, especially on a machine that hasn't had a security update in years ... To do things as root, become root temporarily (for that command) in a terminal by issuing 'sudo' before commands that need them. E.g.

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    If you try this command not much, if anything, will happen in 9.10. If you have third party repos installed you would get updates for them that probably wouldn't function on 9.10.

Good luck.
    BB
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; January 31st, 2013 at 04:45 AM.

Beans

Oh my 9.10! Best to do a fresh install of a newer version.