Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Quote Originally Posted by jerrylamos View Post
    I touch type mostly, so my hands are all over the keyboard. The "touchpads" are forever firing off and screwing things up, so I use wireless mice on my notebooks & netbook. The "touchpad" is tuned off.

Now on my tablets, not much choice, use screen fingerprints instead of mice, and do have keyboard attached much of the time.
    Just thinking out loud...

I use Thinkpads, and I also use a mini-mouse most of the time. Like you, I turn off the touchpad (but I leave the TrackPoint live). It would be a worthless poll, and a waste of bandwidth, but, I wonder how many people actually turn off their touchpads, and use a mouse on their laptops. My experience with touchpads leads me to believe that many more do, than one might think.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Just made a blood test appointment and printed out the document on my HP Printer. It printed out well.

Beans
    Hidden!

... I wonder how many people actually turn off their touchpads, and use a mouse on their laptops. My experience with touchpads leads me to believe that many more do, than one might think.
    Yep, that's exactly what I do. Especially when the laptop is sitting on my lap, it's too easy to accidentally hit the touchpad when I'm typing so I prefer to keep it off. I'm with you in thinking that lots of people do this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I filed a "bug report" on launchpad about the problem i mentioned in my initial post about the touchpad pointer speed not locking in when you change it from the default...anyone else who has observed it, is welcome to add to my report....seems odd that no else has appeared to have reported it to them...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...r/+bug/1118719

I would really appreciate others who have observed this bug to report it on my bug report at launchpad, i think it would look better if more would mention it to them...

Thanks...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 8th, 2013 at 03:28 PM.

Beans

I installed kubuntu raring a few days ago on my acer netbook because it has the notorious cedarview gpu archtecture, and I read on phoronix that the 3.7 kernel incorporated the drivers. Had single boot ubuntu based mint 13 kde on it because mint uses a 6 month old ubuntu 12.04 version and comes with kernel 3.2xx. You don't have to manually compile an older kernel/header version and hold it. Synaptic does that for you.

However, that meant other problems. The kernel version doesn't work properly with the HDd controller. It only gets 13-14Mb/s transfer at most with a usb HD.

I was prepared to live with that until the official release, but then I started to suspect the wireless controller was having odd problems too. So I figured what the hell.

One thing I'll tell you. I'd never install alpha Windows. Not in a million years.

I didn't use a daily build, I just installed with the live DVD version from usb stick. That was pretty clunky until I updated it. But so far it runs well. Probably better than 12,04 based mint with limited update capability. Touch wood. The video is definitely faster. Not by an order of magnitude but it's quite noticeable.

Of course, it's kubuntu, and I've found kde to be the most stable of all 5 desktop shells I've tried. I suspect that helps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by mcellius View Post
    Yep, that's exactly what I do. Especially when the laptop is sitting on my lap, it's too easy to accidentally hit the touchpad when I'm typing so I prefer to keep it off. I'm with you in thinking that lots of people do this.
    Touchpad off. On netbook, notebook. I touch type with some misses on keypresses and the touchpad makes the screen go nuts. A wireless USB mouse works just fine, thanks. Oh, when I use the touchpad on my son or daughters Apple it's pretty clumsy.

Beans

I have been using Ubuntu on my Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Pi 1505 for the last 3.5 years. Yesterday I upgraded to 13.04 and the system seems to be smoother than 12.10. As a pleasant surprise, there seems to be some improvement in battery consumption as well. Once in a while a popup message indicates an internal error, and it is reported to the center. Other than that, and so far ( ) there don't seem to be any major problems. I am certainly pleased to see improvements in Ubuntu, and I would like to see software companies taking linux more seriously and not giving linux users the hind tit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Smile Re: Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Installed Ubuntu 13.04 Raring, a few Bumps but nothing to bad. 1st tried cinnamon stable, just hangs on log screen into cinnamon desktop. Solved by Installing Cinnamon Daily for 13.04. Also the Kernel 3.8.0-16 hangs halfway through install. Rebooted, installed via terminal sudo apt-get update, sudo apt-get upgrade.
    The Answer Please if at all Possible

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post

1) When installing ubuntu restricted extras, the microsoft fonts license agreement did not come up...everything else got installed except for those fonts...ended up having to do it in the terminal where the agreement DID come up...
    I wish this is the expected behaviour. I never understood why they need to put Microsoft's fonts in restricted extras in the first place. Since it requires agreeing to MS's EULA it should be separate from restricted extras. I don't want it so I always skip the EULA once I became more experienced, but when I started out with Ubuntu I thought the installation of restricted extras would stop if I didn't agree to the EULA and always ended up having to remove it later.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeCrate View Post
    Just thinking out loud...

I use Thinkpads, and I also use a mini-mouse most of the time. Like you, I turn off the touchpad (but I leave the TrackPoint live). It would be a worthless poll, and a waste of bandwidth, but, I wonder how many people actually turn off their touchpads, and use a mouse on their laptops. My experience with touchpads leads me to believe that many more do, than one might think.
    Just got an Acer C7 Chromebook with touchpad. One finger, two finger scroll, tap or hold, etc. Don't like the touchpad at all. Slow compared to a mouse so I plugged in a wireless mouse. Only disconcerting thing, the display is so fast scrolling the whole screen jumps in time with the slight detents on the mouse scroll wheel.

The touchpad is slightly recessed so I don't accidentally bump it very often as I use the mouse and touch type.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast