Thread: Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Since last WE on i386 logged as gnome-classic:
    - shutdown is still hanging about 5 seconds on modem-manager
    - and got that new issue: if i logout, i only get a black screen with a blinking cursor. Need to hard shutdown (reset does not work)

its with nvidia activated.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Well I Did It (installed ubuntu 13.04)

Raring Ringtail is already so much better than the final 12.10. I hope it gets even more better... the only downside is nautilus 3.6 the earlier edition was so much better.... I guess this is the reason why LinuxMint forked it as Nemo. I installed Nemo with Raring and side by side Nemo is very efficient.

But the flip side of installing Nemo is that it only comes with cinnamon... Well I got cinnamon too.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    Raring Ringtail is already so much better than the final 12.10. I hope it gets even more better... the only downside is nautilus 3.6 the earlier edition was so much better.... I guess this is the reason why LinuxMint forked it as Nemo. I installed Nemo with Raring and side by side Nemo is very efficient.

But the flip side of installing Nemo is that it only comes with cinnamon... Well I got cinnamon too.
    Agree
    13.04 is still 3 months away from final release and it's already much better then 12.10 final...

Yeah, i do miss the old version of nautilus but find i can manage pretty well with it...reminds me a bit of dolphin file manager in kde where one tends to need to use "right click" more often...but i think i can "live with it" (lol)...

Cinnamon desktop is a great option, as well as "cairo dock session" but i like unity (now that i got use to it) so i just use the "stock" set-up as it were...

I just hope that little "buggy" with the touchpad setting that i have gets straightened out by final release but it's a minor bug compared to the SEVERAL big ones i had in 12.10...
    Last edited by craig10x; January 31st, 2013 at 08:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I thought I would dislike nautilus 3.6, but IMO its actually a big improvement. For example I actually loved that they replaced type-to-find with search. At first I thought I would hate this, because the search in nautilus 3.4 never worked for some of my use cases (I have a samba share with a lot of videos, ctrl + f search would never work on that, it would just freeze forever), and type-to-find had its own issues (for example lets say you have a folder names noodles, but are looking for noodles.mkv, with type to find it will go to the folder but no way to go to the file so I have to scroll). with nautilus 3.6 I just start typing and it shows me all the relevant results instantly, even over the network share! The only problem atm is the lack of recursion (which is already fixed in nautilus 3.7 afiak). The only other problem I had with it is that by default the new document template is missing, but thats easy to fix.

It also looks a lot less ugly than nautilus 3.4 did with the ambiance theme, and the symbolic icons look really nice.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

yes, the recurssive search is fixed in 3.7 so by next stable release nautilus would have improved...

I have been using 3.6 in Arch (gnome-shell) and the only thing I dearly miss is 'recursive search'... I am using 'gnome-search-tool' to hunt down my files... catfish too is an option... Not a huge issue but I wanted to try 'Nemo' and cinnamon is impressive too...
    Last edited by fantab; January 31st, 2013 at 09:13 PM.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

yes, the recurssive search is fixed in 3.7 so by next stable release nautilus would have improved...
    recursive search was added back right after 3.6.1 release, Ubuntu could easily enable in nautilus-3.6.x, so far they've chosen not to..

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1077415

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

When I tried to boot into Raring today, the login screen came up, I entered my password and then it seemed to be starting up.
    Then a few seconds later I am looking at the login screen again. This happened over and over.
    I got into safemode first choosing network and then root shell. Then I got a bunch of updates and the 8.0-3 kernel but, it still would not boot.

I am going to get another daily iso, disconnect my 1TB USB drive and re-install. Haven't been able to install with the USB drive connected in 3 attempts now.

But, hey we're having fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well, so far 4 days of updates (including 2 kernel updates) and still no smoke coming out of the laptop

Actually, so far each time i updated it seems to only help things not make them worse...so i am keeping my fingers crossed...
    I hope to make it to the final on April 25th at which time i am going to wipe the dual boot i have with 12.10 and just install 13.04, fresh...

The only bugs i still have is the touchpad pointer speed going back to default (even though i lower it) every time i close that program, so i have to leave it open while in session...

And the other is "tears in video" on quicktime videos at the itune's movie trailer website...no problems with normal flash videos at all...

Hope they get corrected for me by final release...All the "pluses" i outlined in my first post, are a real pleasure with 13.04 over my 12.10 experience...And it's running amazingly stable for a release that is still 3 months away yet...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 1st, 2013 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

With my USB drive off Raring 64bit desktop installed pretty fast this time around.

During the installation it still said Ubuntu 12.10 at the lower left.
    It seems to be a bit more stable than it was previously.
    Installed the “xorg crack pushers” team PPA and installed Nvidia driver version 313.18 and it seems to work well.

When did Gnome Classic become Gnome Fallback?

IMO anything you can do in a terminal is the better choice.
    I installed ubuntu-restricted-extras via terminal and the EULA popped up and all went well.
    Also got the 3.8.0-4 kernel a day after getting the 3.8.0-3 kernel.
    The 3.8.0-3 kernel came on yesterday's daily iso.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

yay I've noticed that another problem that I had with 12.10 doesn't seem to exist in 13.04 in 12.10 smplayer was no longer able to inhibit the screensaver for some reason, but somehow it works in 13.04 with the same version of smplayer.
    Desktop: Windows 8 x64 | Intel Core i5-2500 | 16 GB DDR3 1333 | ATI 6950 2gb | 64gb Vertex 2/320gb/750gb/1tb hdd
    Laptop: System76 Lemur Ultra | Xubuntu 13.04 x64 | 2.5Ghz Intel Core i5-3210m | 8GB DDR31600 | Intel HD4000 | 500GB 7200rpm hybrid hdd

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast