Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Experiences with Ubuntu 13.04

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    I hope to make it to the final on April 25th at which time i am going to wipe the dual boot i have with 12.10 and just install 13.04, fresh...
    Heh! I need to do a fresh install, one of these days.

Code:
    vindsl@Zuul:~$ ls -ld /var/log/installer | awk '{ print $6 " " $7 " " $8 }'
    Oct 13 2011
    Dern thing just keeps working...
    Intel ® P4 Extreme Edition 3.4 (Gallatin) || DFI ® LanParty PRO875B rev B1
    Crucial ® Ballistix Tracer PC4000 1GB || Mountain Mods U2-UFO Opti-1203
    XFX 7600GT 560M AGP (PV-T73A-UDF3) || Corsair HX520W Modular PSU

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

I probably wouldn't bother, except that at that point (final release) i was figuring on wiping out my dual boot and it would be an easy way to do it (having the installer do it) rather then trying to re-size the partition and deleting the extra version (12.10) from the grub menu...

Also, i recall (from one time i had installed ubuntu while still in beta) that a certain bug i had on it, which got corrected in updates i received, didn't fix the bug on my beta, but when i clean re-installed it, the bug was fixed...

So that does seem to happen sometimes...and since i do have those 2 bugs (touchpad not remembering the setting i change it to and the tearing of quicktime videos) if they do get corrected, i may not get the benefit of it unless i clean install...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

So far I'm having a great experience with 13.04. I don't normally watch quicktime videos, but after reading the post above by craig10x regarding quicktime video tearing I thought I'd give that a test. I've now tried several with no issues whatsoever. I'm running the AMD ATI Radeon 6310 graphics using the proprietary driver installed through additional drivers.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by tdockery97 View Post
    So far I'm having a great experience with 13.04. I don't normally watch quicktime videos, but after reading the post above by craig10x regarding quicktime video tearing I thought I'd give that a test. I've now tried several with no issues whatsoever. I'm running the AMD ATI Radeon 6310 graphics using the proprietary driver installed through additional drivers.
    Thanks for checking that...it could be just on my particular hardware...though interestingly enough, on live session of 13.04 the quicktime videos played fine...perhaps i got some kind of corruption in that while it was being installed...another reason i will clean install when the final comes out...I have an I3 Core Intel processor with Intel Graphics...never had a problem with quicktime on ubuntu with this computer before...

In the case of intel, there are no proprietary drivers offered because the open source and proprietary are the same (intel is very linux friendly in that regard)...

Just curious, could you check the "touchpad" bug i am having to see if you get that too? When i go to the mouse settings and lower the pointer speed, if i close that window, it appears to go back to the default position...

Have to say, that otherwise, my experience with 13.04 has been great also...and i have noted a LOT of improvements over my 12.10 install...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 5th, 2013 at 04:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Just tried changing the pointer speed in the touchpad settings, and it doesn't appear to stick after closing the settings.

Thanks for having me do that craig10x. I didn't realize that there is an option in system settings to turn the touchpad off. I had been using a startup script to do that.

Beans
    Distro

You are very welcome...also nice seeing you over here at the ubuntu forums

That little bug in the touchpad seems to be experienced by others here as well, so i guess it is a common bug...hopefully, it will get fixed by the final...

My "work around" for now is to just leave that window open while i am in session...each morning when i boot up, i just slide it down to the place i like it...
    Last edited by craig10x; February 5th, 2013 at 05:18 PM.

Beans
    Distro

I only use my laptop at home with a mouse, so it doesn't really affect me. I do hope that they get it fixed as most laptop users probably use their touchpads.

By the way craig10x, I don't know if it is something you do or would use, but the dodge windows app that was written for 12.04/12.10 also works in 13.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tdockery97 View Post
    I only use my laptop at home with a mouse, so it doesn't really affect me. I do hope that they get it fixed as most laptop users probably use their touchpads.
    I touch type mostly, so my hands are all over the keyboard. The "touchpads" are forever firing off and screwing things up, so I use wireless mice on my notebooks & netbook. The "touchpad" is tuned off.

Now on my tablets, not much choice, use screen fingerprints instead of mice, and do have keyboard attached much of the time.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

I've running kubuntu-raring since early January, primarily as a test to begin with but I was so impressed it quickly turned out to be my primary OS.

Sound is working beautifully. Previously I had to wait at least five minutes or so, before the sounddrivers decided to initialize the hardware. Now, it is up and running by the time KDE loads.

Graphics is another area that has been bothering me. Being blessed with both integrated graphics and discrete graphics, this has been quite problematic for me, since fglrx had trouble recognizing the discrete Radeon-chip so I had to stick with the Intel graphics. Now, some how my Intel graphics are disabled by the kernel and fglrx install and run without problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Though I used to be involved in the development cycles, for the past few releases, I really haven't had much time. However, I downloaded and installed today's daily for Xubuntu to take a look.

I set it up to my preferences, and ran it through it's paces, to note what I needed to keep an eye on. Imagine my surprise, that everything worked. I know that will change, but, at least for today, I'm really impressed.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast