Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cups-pdf not embedding text

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

cups-pdf not embedding text

Hi Folks!

A few weeks ago, I finally upgraded from 10.10 to 11.10. Not a pretty upgrade...

Anyway... I installed the cups-pdf printer and now the pdf's come out as all images. This happened back in 2009 and there was a patch to poppler's pdftops (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ps/+bug/381788).

For giggles, I tried it on my current system, but it didn't work. I tried to purge/re-install cups-pdf... no love.

Is anyone else having this issue?

I just tried on the laptop (11.04) and the same thing happens.

I just attached a sample. If I print to file from Firefox, the pdf is fine.

Hmmm, the pdf is too large to attach. Another problem...
    Last edited by JohnnyVW; April 21st, 2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: attach a sample
    IBM Thinkpad r51, Ubuntu 12.04
    Homebuilt Intel Core2Duo E4500, 4.0GB RAM, EVGA/nVidia GT440, Dual-boot XP/Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
    Compaq Presario S3200NX, 1.0GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 10.04 (local file/print/music server)

Beans
    Distro

Re: cups-pdf not embedding text

Anyone?
    Homebuilt Intel Core2Duo E4500, 4.0GB RAM, EVGA/nVidia GT440, Dual-boot XP/Ubuntu 12.04 64-bit
    Compaq Presario S3200NX, 1.0GB RAM, Ubuntu Server 10.04 (local file/print/music server)

Beans

same here with ubuntu 12.04. this bug is so annoying as it has already been fixed in the past. i have not found any solution or workaround for this.

greetings

peter

Beans
    Distro

Hi Peter!

Yeah, that is what has me so annoyed. I've tried a few things, but no luck. When the cups-pdf printer works right, it's great! ...And convenient.

Beans
    Distro

I recently upgraded from 10.10 to 12.04 when cups-pdf was perfect now it's bloody useless because of this. All the text printed to PDF is bloody useless as it can't be copied it is like having paper.

The bug is reported here
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...df/+bug/820820

As usual nothing has been done about it.
    The usual problem problem with open source projects, features are killed off without considering common use case scenarios.

There has to be a way of installing old working packages.
    Last edited by pt123; May 24th, 2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: bug url fixed

Beans

Unhappy Re: cups-pdf not embedding text

At least you're getting some output. I cannot print to pdf from anything other than LibreOffice, which suggests that the solution is not hard. Think of the paper saving, the carbon footprint etc!

This Xubuntu works pretty well but this and the inability to suspend/hibernate securely are soon going to require that I point another OS tool at my valuable data partition.

Oliverjames

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I've never had any reason to install cups-pdf, instead I just use the 'Print to file..' option that is built into Ubuntu. Just select .pdf as the output type and it will produce a PDF file with selectable text.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Thanks Cheesemill, you're a Star.

You wouldn't happen to know how to fix the flaky suspend / hibernate functions would you ; - )

Best regards,

Oliverjames

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    I've never had any reason to install cups-pdf, instead I just use the 'Print to file..' option that is built into Ubuntu. Just select .pdf as the output type and it will produce a PDF file with selectable text.
    Print to file previously wasn't configurable, in Firefox it was defaulted to PostScript and you had to manually change it. Cups Printer is smarter in creating filenames, it uses the web page title to create the filename. Also the cups-pdf lets you control the DPI settings for the images in the PDF. Finally cups-pdf can be used as a network printer.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by pt123 View Post
    Print to file previously wasn't configurable, in Firefox it was defaulted to PostScript and you had to manually change it. Cups Printer is smarter in creating filenames, it uses the web page title to create the filename. Also the cups-pdf lets you control the DPI settings for the images in the PDF. Finally cups-pdf can be used as a network printer.
    Agreed. Yes, for now I'm using the print to file option, but it's not a solution.

It seems to be working in other distros... Can't wrap my head around why it doesn't work in Ubuntu.

I recently upgraded to 12.04. Same problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast