Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: 5 reasons Chromebooks beat Linux

Beans

Re: 5 reasons Chromebooks beat Linux

Quote Originally Posted by frank604 View Post
    Upon closer inspection, when one actually reads a title "5 reasons chromebooks beat linux netbooks" there is a realization that a comparison between two products is made. When one device can only be used fully with wifi connection and becomes a brick or otherwise (there are some improved offline capabilities recently), and someone comments how that is not of their interest, it isn't smart to say what you did.
    Thanks for the (condescending) advice. It made me read the article and comments a second time, so this time I noticed your connection with it.

I know we are on a Linux forum, so it is expected that Linux will be defended, but there is, on here, and in those comments, some nonsense uttered. It is too easy to forget that users of this forum are not "average users". We happen to LIKE playing with Linux, but we are a small minority.

A few things at random:
    It does not matter that all distributions are GNU/Linux - packages are not distribution-independent, so there is an element of confusion to the average user.

The average user does NOT want to install Linux himself

The average user does NOT want to download an ISO and create an installer, even if they are technically capable of following the instructions (and most are probably not)

As to the article itself, IMHO, he is wrong on point 3, debatable on point 2 and correct on the others. He didn't go into any depth, but I don't think he deserved some of the criticism he has got.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by MadmanRB View Post
    If only he knew chrome OS is sort of based on linux, as is android.
    Android uses a fork of Linux kernel which is quite heavily modified by now. Chrome OS kernel is closer to mainline Linux kernel, I believe. Still, trying to re-create any kind of traditional Linux userland on either of them would hardly be worth the effort.
    Last edited by prodigy_; February 3rd, 2013 at 05:41 PM.

Beans

Most of the major PC makers continue to offer Linux notebooks (running Red Hat, Suse, Ubuntu, etc.).
    Really? Which companies are offering RHEL notebooks?

Was this really written in January 2013?

Beans

I'm going to download Ubuntu 7.04 now, just so I can see what colour the desktop is in his world.

Beans

Well I'll eat my hat:

http://www.zdnet.com/dell-re-enters-...ux-7000001583/

The usual suspects

Beans

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

What I took away from points 1 & 2: Having diversity and choices available to you is bad. Everyone should use the same thing.

Updates being hard was amusing too, as the above said, there's sudo apt get update && sudo apt-get upgrade. Even if you're ignoring the command line, the update manager automatically pops up every few days with a list of updates, and all you do is click "install".

"The Linux industry never really decided on a standard..."
    Because it's the complete opposite of what Linux is about.
    I am what I am because of who we all are

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234