Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 5 reasons Chromebooks beat Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: 5 reasons Chromebooks beat Linux

Usually I'm a nice guy but bloggers who misrepresent the truth need to get put down. This VAR guy is nothing but a joke. I feel sorry for the poor soul who reads this article and thinks he needs to buy a chromebook and jump on a pseudo-bandwagon.

Beans

Linux Netbooks: You think Windows Patch Management is difficult? Show the average consumer the Linux desktop, and they will have no idea how to keep all the different software components updated.
    A popup that you can click to "update", this is simpler than even my Droid phone.

This review is nonsense.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This guy is not so bright but I would like to heap a ton of blame on ASUS. XandrOS on a 4gb ssd with no room to install any updates was a horrible idea. I think it convinced many buyers that Linux is basically a joke given how many refurbs hit the market shortly after. Had ASUS gone with Ubuntu, it would have been a different story.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 13.10 Saucy Salamander

anyone who in the year 2013 still running feisty should not ever write a blog on anything remotely about computers
    zealibib slaughter is a dwarven paladin of ill temperment played by a fat man of jolly temperment.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thats one of the worst articles Ive ever read. The best part is, in the end he shoots himself in the foot admiting that Chrome OS is nothing but a different flavor of Linux.
    But the consumer Linux push has largely stopped in the U.S. Oh, unless you count Chrome OS and Android devices…

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JayKay3OOO View Post
    Different tools for different uses.

If you need a desktop OS then Windows, Mac OS, or Linux.

If you need a web browser and can use internet productivity apps then Chromebook, Joli Cloud laptop Ipda or other tablets like Nexus 10.

If you just need to check your e-mail and need a computer on you all of the time then smarphone with biggest data cap you can afford.

You can't use a drill to eat your dinner with and you can't make holes in metal using your fingers. Different tools for different jobs.

Author is a bit of a dunderhead in this case.
    Exactly--different devices for different uses. I switch between using different OS's depending on what I am doing.

Same thing with devices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    I like the idea of chromebooks, however if at anytime you lack a network connection, it's as useful as a brick.
    Not really.
    1. When would you ever be without a connection? Spend a lot of time at the bottom of a well? You may not always have a fast connection, but when was the last time you honestly had no connection?
    2. If you do lose connection momentarily (train going through a tunnel maybe?) web apps these days do work offline

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

"They ran a range of operating systems. Many vendors chose Ubuntu, but even there the core operating system version varied from PC maker to PC maker. So the user experience varied in a huge way when moving from one netbook to the next. Who could you trust for a great system? The Linux industry never really decided on a standard…"
    Well they are all different operating systems, the only thing they all have in common is they use the linux kernel, apart from that there's no rules to a linux distro, its like saying
    "Cars! They're all rubbish because they're all totally different."

Would you bunch routers and smart tv's using the linux kernel into this sweeping statement as well, because they are meant to be different
    Last edited by CaptainMark; February 2nd, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
    Catch me on Freenode - imark

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Not really.
    1. When would you ever be without a connection? Spend a lot of time at the bottom of a well? You may not always have a fast connection, but when was the last time you honestly had no connection?
    2. If you do lose connection momentarily (train going through a tunnel maybe?) web apps these days do work offline
    I dont know about the rest of you guys, but Im without an internet connection most of the day. Wifi is garbage in my area and paying cellular internet rates is not worth it. A Chromebook would be about useful as a rock.

Beans

If you haven't got a reliable internet connection, then the solution would be to not buy a Chromebook, but it does not invalidate the concept for everyone else.

In other news, I don't own a cat, so tins of cat food are as useful as a rock

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast