Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 12.10 a joke?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.10 a joke?

I am sure there are a lot of discussions about this, so please forgive me if I am repeating other threads and blow off steam here...

I read reviews and features about Ubuntu 12.10 and I have to admit I am very worried about the direction Ubuntu is taking: the whole Amazon desktop thing and focu on social media integration seems to me the wrong thing to do in general and personally.

I switched to Ubuntu a few years ago because of all the social media stuff and "dumbing" down that Windows is doing and because I felt that Ubuntu puts performance above "glitz". I need a clean, fast and stable system to actually do work and I am willing to deal with the compatibility issues with Windows. 12.04 was a disappointment from a stability perspective (random crashes that nobody seems to consider worth fixing), 12.10 is an even bigger disappointment from the social media/amazon perspective (plus higher CPU load when idling).

My personal preferences aside, if Ubuntu transforms into Windows - which it what is does from a desktop perspective - why should anybody buying a computer go through the hassle and take Windows off and put Ubuntu on? Appealing to a broader user base is good, the way Ubuntu 12.10 is attempting to do this is IMO not. The biggest obstacle that I have encountered using Ubuntu in a Windows-dominated business world are two:
    - document compatibility issues: LibreOffice is pretty good digesting DOCX and XLSX but there are still a lot of glitches (paragraph numbering, embedded images,....).
    - Lack of applications: there is no native linux project management app which is as good as MS Project and there is no diagram tool as good as Visio.

I can't figure out the reasoning behind the 12.10 direction:
    1) It will IMO not entice an average computer user to switch to Ubuntu and here is why:
    I think a lot of people use at home what they use at work because of familiarity (why learn two OS'es?). So if 12.10 focuses on social media integration and Amazon, why go through the hassle and switch if I get the exact same stuff with Windows out of the box?
    2) it will IMO not entice a "hardcore"-like computer user to switch and here is why:
    12.10 does not address any of the main obstacles of using ubuntu in a Windows world and decreases stability (compared to 10.04), so why should I go there?

I would have hoped that the development focuses on compatibility, stability and needed applications, not on what I consider to be "glitz"

Not that it's going to make a difference, but I do want to let the people responsible for Ubuntu's direction know that I do feel pretty alienated by 12.xx and seriously consider an alternative distro.

P.S.: I know all the difficulties being more compatible with Windows data and MS data formats, however, that does not change the fact that these issues are by far the biggest obstacle.
    Lutz

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.10 a joke?

Well Ubuntu still has a advantage over windows (other then being free both as in free beer and free speech) is that you can still easily customize it, you can easly slap on Gnome Classic by selecting gnome-panel from the repo's (helps to have Synaptic Package Manager so you can use it to more easily nab individual packages, still mad at caronical from removing it from default install but what can you do. Though I do use the software center to browse for new stuff, which it is best suited for.) the gnome-panel will grab the rest of what's needed for gnome classic, of course there is gnome-shell, there is KDE, etc. GNU/Linux is very modular.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; January 30th, 2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: fixed a mispelling
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I agree with the previous post: if you don't like the features that come out of the box with 12.10, just customize it.

Think it's too clunky? Switch to another desktop like Kubuntu or Lubuntu. Want to make it faster? Tweak it. Want to get rid of the social media "glitz"? Then remove it.

That being said, I love 12.10! I've been using ubuntu for a little over a year, and it's my favorite release so far. I kinda hate social media, and I use linux for mathematical modelling and economic science.

As to microsoft compatibility issues... of course there will always be a little extra work where that's concerned. But if you absolutely have to use a windows program, that's what Wine is for. Additionally, you can always run linux in parallel, or remotely from a windows network, so on. Lots of options.

Last, if you don't like Ubuntu, but want to stay with linux, there's slackware, gentoo, fedora, etc.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

I am sure there are a lot of discussions about this
    Yes there is. Moving to Recurring discussions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by landersohn View Post
    I read reviews and features about Ubuntu 12.10 and I have to admit I am very worried about the direction Ubuntu is taking: the whole Amazon desktop thing and focu on social media integration seems to me the wrong thing to do in general and personally.
    He he, have you heard about 13.04 plans?:
    http://news.slashdot.org/story/12/12...-from-the-dash

I guess that Canonical has to make money somehow, and some people my even like the ability to shop on-line with the very same tool they use to search for their personal documents. Fortunately for those who do not what it, all the Ubuntu alternatives still retain what made Ubuntu good in the first place (hardware support, PPAs...) without all these new controversial features.

Beans

Well, like you, I grew very frustrated with Ubuntu when a new release (10.04, the one you love) changed too much compared with an old release (8.04, the one I loved). Sometimes it's just human nature to resist change. In fact I ended up switching to other, less "exciting" Linux distributions, problem solved.

I will say however it's incredibly naive to state "people are not interested in Amazon shopping and social networking." These two activities are hugely popular, and Ubuntu is merely facilitating activities in which people are already participating in droves.

Beans
    Distro

Interesting thread in the previouys post and a lot of interesting opinions.
    Of course I realize I can uninstall all this stuff but it's annoying that it comes as default.
    The other - from my perspective - more concerning point is that all this stuff requires developer effort, effort in my opinion better spend on real performance enhancing features:
    - Ubuntu 12.04 randomly crashes for about once per week, not even the mouse moves, Alt-F2 is dead
    - My built-in wireless does not work, chip is not supported and has been WIP for a looong time, had to buy a USB wireless dongle. Of the 5 dongles I tried, only one works without a hitch (Buffalo), all others either don't connect, randomly disconnect, causing wireless not to be automatically enabled when booting/logging in
    - support for Optimus graphics is rather haphazard

This could all be excused since it's a free system and the workarounds would be all fine IF this stuff hadn't all worked great in 10.04 (with the exception of Optimus, of course). In fact, wireless support got worse since 9.04: w/o changing hardware on my laptop or my router, displayed signal levels kept dropping, random disconnects increased.
    IMO that's too high a price to pay for one click shopping, even though some people seem to like it.
    Lutz

Beans

9.04 was the last good one; I agree.

To play devil's advocate, perhaps Canonical plans to use the profits from the Amazon partnership to hire more developers to address the bugs you have discovered. Also I assume you have filed descriptive bug reports through the official channels, right? (Otherwise how do you expect them to get fixed?) Anyway, developers each have their own specialties, so there's not necessarily a direct cause-and-effect relationship that "Amazon and Facebook integration is diverting developer resources from troubleshooting hardware lockups and driver compatibility issues" since those projects require very different skill-sets and are likely not the same person.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

The PC desktop is no longer a growth arena anyway.

Cost of system is not an important factor. Look at Android.

Not experiencing wireless problems at all on 3 notebooks.

Very consistant reliable performance on 4 machines.

Try Linux Mint
    Last edited by lancest; January 30th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Distro

snowpine,
    the sad part is, I didn't need to file bug reports, they are all there already
    In fact I used the discussions in the bugs to find workarounds to get stuff working.
    Lutz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast