Thread: Why Ubuntu 13.04 over openSUSE 12.3?

Why Ubuntu 13.04 over openSUSE 12.3?

Ok, this is the best place that I could find to post this. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I am currently looking at 2 Linux OS's, and would like to know your thoughts on why I should pick Ubuntu 13.04 over openSUSE 12.3. Thanks!

Beans

Re: Why Ubuntu 13.04 over openSUSE 12.3?

It depends what you want to do. Both are user-friendly distros but I think Ubuntu has more packages. Try them both live and see which you prefer. However, I wouldn't recommend 13.04 yet unless you're testing. Go for 12.10 - the latest - or 12.04 LTS.

OpenSUSE is officially just as much Gnome 3 as it is KDE but in practice its user base tends to favour KDE.

Both Ubuntu and OpenSUSE are excellent choices.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by ezcomputersolutions View Post
    Ok, this is the best place that I could find to post this. Sorry if this is the wrong place.

I am currently looking at 2 Linux OS's, and would like to know your thoughts on why I should pick Ubuntu 13.04 over openSUSE 12.3. Thanks!
    openSUSE is due for release in less than 2 weeks
    The latest RC has some networking bugs.
    But overall, having been involved with it, it's looking to be a great release. I use KDE in openSUSE and it's probably one of the best KDE distros out there. That's not to say Gnome is not good, it absolutely is.
    As for packages, the OBS is massive.
    openSUSE is as the name suggests -open-
    So some proprietary packages require your intervention

Ubuntu always works well too. And you seem to have hit on some good choices.
    I tend to try a few and sit on the best performer.
    Ubuntu Member Always something different. Promoting Ubuntu and System 76 at TUXPC

Beans

Try both and see what you prefer. As much as other people can recommend stuff at the end of the day you have to decide what you like