Thread: keyboard input randomly stops while playing games

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

keyboard input randomly stops while playing games

While playing some games, Minecraft and Team Fortress 2 on Steam, my keyboard randomly stops sending keypresses to the computer. I am using a Logitec K350 wireless keyboard and mouse set and the mouse continutes to work when this happens. When it starts working again it seems to send all the input at the same time so several movements happen at the same time. It doesn't seem to happen at any specific time while playing the games. It also doesn't happen outside of games. Any idea why this is happening?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: keyboard input randomly stops while playing games

The general consensus is that wireless keyboard/mice are not suitable for gaming, and you're experiencing the why.

As to why it does it inside games and not outside, my SPECULATION is that several simultaneous key presses causes the keyboard to pause it's transmission for some reason.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I realize that wireless isn't the best for gaming as I am not a hardcore gamer it doesn't matter for me. I was just curious as to why it was happening and if there was anything I could do to stop it.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by netopalis45 View Post
    ...if there was anything I could do to stop it.
    Likely not. Like I said, it's just my speculation, but I don't think that wireless keyboards are designed to handle the multiple simultaneous key presses necessary to play most games. Most gaming keyboards advertise that they are "anti-ghosting", for this very reason.

And as much as it pains me to link to M$, this page actually presents some legitimate info on the subject.

https://www.microsoft.com/appliedsci...explained.mspx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Cool Re: keyboard input randomly stops while playing games

Quote Originally Posted by Ranko Kohime View Post
    Likely not. Like I said, it's just my speculation, but I don't think that wireless keyboards are designed to handle the multiple simultaneous key presses necessary to play most games. Most gaming keyboards advertise that they are "anti-ghosting", for this very reason.

And as much as it pains me to link to M$, this page actually presents some legitimate info on the subject.

https://www.microsoft.com/appliedsci...explained.mspx
    It's OK to link to M$; information is information.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

try plugging the keyboard out/in . or your keyboard might have some problems same with your mice/mouse