Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: wireress not working after update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: wireress not working after update

I believe that the next step was for you to take the plunge and blacklist the 'bcma' and 'brmcsmac' drivers to see if that lets the 'wl' driver take over. Before doing that you might want to peruse the thread here (at least the first couple of posts) to get some more background on the types of changes you are making and why you are making them (particularly w.r.t. conflicting drivers).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by apochry View Post
    Now I switched to the driver provided by jockey (Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver source, package is bcmwl-kernel-source, version 6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu0.0.1) and it seems stable for the last 10-15 minutes.

EDIT: It was stable until I've put my laptop to sleep and moved to another building of the university. Than it wasn't able to connect at all. I'm home now and I can not connect to my home network either. I think I went back the initial situation by reverting to the 'wl' driver.
    Have you tried downgrading the 'wl' driver back to the earlier 5.x version?

Beans
    Distro

wow IM back been very busy all day

I understand the reasoning and purpose of black listing the driver from working for sure ..
    heh my reluctance as I pointed out is that it is at this point the only working driver and this is the only computer or computer acess I have at the moment if I black list that and things dont work im out of luck I dont even have or use a mobile phone

I mean my wife does have a laptop how ever I run business online and using it many hours a day would be an issue ..

I am copying all the detail here down so I have them hehe I know its nuts to run an online business and not have extra equipment but we are just getting start here money is tight

at this point she is here watching me load of doubt in her eyes anything needs fixing at all after all I am logged on here and I have been warned if things get broken there is no way to replace anything at this time im just out of luck there is $0 sinced she is just getting back to work after a year unemployed ..

so my reluctance is a mix of things all in one hehe

thoughI know things arent quite right even thoughI am using wireless at this time the wirless light on the key baod is a no connection orange

Beans
    Distro

ok so I have all the info coped in notes just incase I chacked the driver I pinned yesterday shows its still pinned .

should I go through The whole down grade and install before I black list ??

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jadtech View Post
    my reluctance as I pointed out is that it is at this point the only working driver and this is the only computer or computer acess I have at the moment if I black list that and things dont work im out of luck
    Do you have an Ethernet cable? If not, you really should have one as a fallback in case some future update trashes your wireless connectivity completely. (Excuse the pessimism, but as you can see from searching this forum, AskUbuntu, etc., BCM43xx wireless support is a bit of a mess right now.)

Beans
    Distro

should I go through The whole down grade and install before I black list ??
    It shouldn't be necessary if you were successful the last time, but it wouldn't hurt to check the output from...

Code:
    aptitude versions bcmwl-kernel-source
    ...just to make sure that the installed version (flagged as 'i') is still 5.100.82.3....

Beans
    Distro

Package bcmwl-kernel-source:
    i 5.100.82.38+bdcom-0ubuntu6 precise 500
    p 6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu0.0.1 precise-updates 500

Package bcmwl-kernel-source:i386:
    p 5.100.82.38+bdcom-0ubuntu6 precise 500
    p 6.20.155.1+bdcom-0ubuntu0.0.1 precise-updates

thats what I get looks good to me not sure what the update is .

I dont have a cable to hard wire in here right now our situation here is complicated let just say we are liturally starting over from nothing

Beans
    Distro

I dont have a cable to hard wire in here right now
    The choice is yours (with significant input from your wife, of course) but if you are really counting on that machine to run your business then $10 for an inexpensive Ethernet cable sounds like cheap insurance to me....

Beans
    Distro

ok here is where it stands the drivers are on the black list confermed this how ever it still booted using the bmac driver..

the odd thing I did note is that on shut down before the reboot message up said it couldnt find a reliable driver for something then rebooted .. not sure I can black list the only working driver SHrug !?!?!?!
    whenI logged in it was logged on line I did a check found this

NetworkManager Tool

State: connected (global)

- Device: wlan0 [Imagination Movers Cafe] -------------------------------------
    Type: 802.11 WiFi
    Driver: brcmsmac
    State: connected
    Default: yes
    HW Address: C0:18:85:23:80:F1

Capabilities:
    Speed: 36 Mb/s

Wireless Properties
    WEP Encryption: yes
    WPA Encryption: yes
    WPA2 Encryption: yes

Wireless Access Points (* = current AP)
    *Imagination Movers Cafe: Infra, 68:7F:74:81:EF:0F, Freq 2462 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 48 WPA WPA2
    dlink: Infra, 00:24:01:29:C5:C5, Freq 2417 MHz, Rate 54 Mb/s, Strength 20 WPA WPA2

IPv4 Settings:
    Address: 192.168.1.100
    Prefix: 24 (255.255.255.0)
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

DNS: 24.226.1.93
    DNS: 24.226.10.193
    DNS: 24.226.10.194

- Device: eth0 -----------------------------------------------------------------
    Type: Wired
    Driver: r8169
    State: unavailable
    Default: no
    HW Address: 78:E3:B5:6B:CF:B9

Capabilities:
    Carrier Detect: yes

Wired Properties
    Carrier: off

----------------------------------------

for the record this is how the black list looks
    # EDAC driver for amd76x clashes with the agp driver preventing the aperture
    # from being initialised (Ubuntu: #297750). Blacklist so that the driver
    # continues to build and is installable for the few cases where its
    # really needed.
    blacklist amd76x_edac
    blacklist bcma
    blacklist brmcsmac

this is the avaliable proptary driver avable on the list not actived

his package contains Broadcom 802.11 Linux STA wireless driver for use with Broadcom's BCM4311-, BCM4312-, BCM4313-, BCM4321-, BCM4322-, BCM43224-, and BCM43225-, BCM43227- and BCM43228-based hardware.

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, I forgot a step:

After changing "blacklist" entries you need to update the initramfs for the kernel, then reboot.

Code:
    sudo update-initramfs -u
    Note that if you want to "un-blacklist" those drivers you need to remove the "blacklist" lines from the blacklist.conf file, run the above command again, then reboot.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast