Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW to uBuntu AND LOViNG iT! i have 1 small error

Beans

NEW to uBuntu AND LOViNG iT! i have 1 small error

i couldnt install on my desktop because with my motherboard i need to plug in old keyboard to select. anyone know the trick to that?

my problem is i didnt want to plug in a dif keyboard everytime i wanted to boot a dif OS. so i put ubuntu on my wifes laptop lol. i need to change it to boot win7 by default cause she caught me and i have to delete it or make windows load default @@! ubuntu .12.10. gnu grub 2.0

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: NEW to uBuntu AND LOViNG iT! i have 1 small error

from the Wubi Wiki

"Ubuntu is not installed as the default boot option, you have to select it in the Windows boot menu. To change that, in Windows XP go to Control Panel > System > Advanced Startup and Recovery and edit the "Default Operating System". In Windows 7, go to Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings (on the left). Then click Settings under Startup and Recovery. If you want, you can change the timeout as well. Be aware that changing the timeout to zero (0) may cause issues booting into Windows. It is preferable that the value be set at 10 or higher."

See if this will allow you to choose win 7 again

Cheers!

Beans

ubuntu boots automaticly, i changed the default to 4 but it still boots ubuntu by default. because this is not my pc i need windows7 by default

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDillinger View Post
    ubuntu boots automaticly, i changed the default to 4 but it still boots ubuntu by default. because this is not my pc i need windows7 by default

did you install by using a disk you burnt? or are you using Wubi?

Beans

i tried windows 7 loader but it still booted gnu grub first, so i had to select it in grub loader first then in win7 loader

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ACubed10 View Post
    did you install by using a disk you burnt? or are you using Wubi?
    disk i burnt

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDillinger View Post
    disk i burnt
    so you manually set up this dual boot from the installation process after booting from the cd?

check the second users' post here http://askubuntu.com/questions/19912...-and-where-exa
    where Marty states "The default entry is determined by the GRUB_DEFAULT= setting in /etc/default/grub; the first "menuentry" has a value of "0". It can be changed to the number of the Windows entry in the menu, probably "3". Or, it can be changed to the full, exact name of the Windows entry, which is useful if you change things very much. To edit this file, you would enter at a command prompt: gksu gedit /etc/default/grub. Be careful not to change anything you don't understand, as this is an important file."

which looks like Win 7 would be your 5th option according to the picture you posted
    Last edited by ACubed10; January 30th, 2013 at 10:03 PM.

Beans

so you manually set up this dual boot from the installation process after booting from the cd?

check the second users' post here http://askubuntu.com/questions/19912...-and-where-exa
    where Marty states "The default entry is determined by the GRUB_DEFAULT= setting in /etc/default/grub; the first "menuentry" has a value of "0". It can be changed to the number of the Windows entry in the menu, probably "3". Or, it can be changed to the full, exact name of the Windows entry, which is useful if you change things very much. To edit this file, you would enter at a command prompt: gksu gedit /etc/default/grub. Be careful not to change anything you don't understand, as this is an important file."

which looks like Win 7 would be your 5th option according to the picture you posted
    yes it is 5, but from zero it would be 4 correct? thanx alot guys for the help and links and plz correct me if im wrong

Beans

srry i did dual boot from disk upon install

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

yes from 0 it would be 4. Unless the memtests don't count? Never dual booted manually..always used Wubi. Now I don't use windows at all

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast