Thread: AMD-based Laptop does not suspend when closed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

AMD-based Laptop does not suspend when closed

I have a relatively new Dell laptop. lspci returns:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Complex
    00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek [Mobility Radeon HD 6620G]
    00:01.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI BeaverCreek HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6500D and 6400G-6600G series]
    00:04.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
    00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h Processor Root Port
    00:10.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB XHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:10.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB XHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 40)
    00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB EHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SMBus Controller (rev 13)
    00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson IDE Controller
    00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson Azalia Controller (rev 01)
    00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson LPC Bridge (rev 11)
    00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson PCI Bridge (rev 40)
    00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson USB OHCI Controller (rev 11)
    00:14.7 SD Host controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Hudson SD Flash Controller
    00:15.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 43a0
    00:15.1 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Device 43a1
    00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 0 (rev 43)
    00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 1
    00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 2
    00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 3
    00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 4
    00:18.5 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 6
    00:18.6 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 5
    00:18.7 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 12h/14h Processor Function 7
    01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 06)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4313 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN Controller (rev 01)

When I installed 12.10 I discovered a problem that the system does not suspend when the cover is closed. I fixed that by installing the proprietary fglrx driver but have now found that the fglrx driver only supports a 1600x1600 maximum virtual screen size: not enough to support attaching a 1080p HD TV as a second display.

How do I resolve this catch 22?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: AMD-based Laptop does not suspend when closed

Apologies in advance if I'm being simplistic but does the 'power' applet show suspend when the lid is closed?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Apologies in advance if I'm being simplistic but does the 'power' applet show suspend when the lid is closed?
    How can I see the power applet if the lid is closed?

As I look at it further it appears that the laptop is actually suspending and then recovering, however because of the fault in the driver Xorg is not displaying everything. I can tell this because when I close the lid
    • The light on the mouse goes out.
    • The hardware LEDs indicating disk drive, wireless, and power cord go out.

When I open the lid:
    • I hear the disk drive spin up.
    • The hardware LEDs come on.
    • The light on the mouse comes on.

However the screen remains black, indicating that the fault in the open driver is preventing Xorg from reactivating the display.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jcobban View Post
    ...the screen remains black, indicating that the fault in the open driver is preventing Xorg from reactivating the display.
    Even restarting Xorg does not bring the display alive. I have to power off and on to recover.

Beans

This is a common issue with Ubuntu Unity ... I had the same problem and found this work-around ... unfortunately it didn't work for me ... might work for your hardware though ....

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1978290

I could not resolve the issue with waking from suspend in Unity, so I switched to Kubuntu ... no issues so far (and I prefer the KDE interface).

Just so you know what I am working with:

Toshiba Satellite laptop
    AMD A10-4600 quad core w/ integrated Radeon HD
    4Gb DDR3 1600
    640Gb HDD
    UEFI bios

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jcobban View Post
    How can I see the power applet if the lid is closed?

As I look at it further it appears that the laptop is actually suspending and then recovering, however because of the fault in the driver Xorg is not displaying everything. I can tell this because when I close the lid
    • The light on the mouse goes out.
    • The hardware LEDs indicating disk drive, wireless, and power cord go out.

When I open the lid:
    • I hear the disk drive spin up.
    • The hardware LEDs come on.
    • The light on the mouse comes on.

However the screen remains black, indicating that the fault in the open driver is preventing Xorg from reactivating the display.
    I have a 10 yr. old laptop that does exactly the same thing. One would think this would have improved over 10 yrs. The only thought I have - there is a package named something like "AMD Microcode" in the repositories. Do you have that installed? I'm not sure what it does but might be worth a try. I have an AMD desktop w/ Nvidia graphics that would complain on boot up that AMD Microcode was not installed. I've not had a suspend/resume problem with this desktop though.