Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 64bit emulator advice

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 64bit emulator advice

So I recently downgraded back from 12.10 to 12.04 and at the same time upgraded from 32 to 64 bit. I have been trying to work out a good snes emulator but I just cant seem to find one that works as well as zsnes did on my 32 bit system so I was hoping for advice. I tried bsnes which works the best but no matter how I change the settings it still has a bit of lag that is really annoying! All the workarounds to get zsnes to work seemed like they were more complex than I felt was worth it. I tried snes9x but it just crashes when I try to start it. And finally I tried mess which insists it cant find the spc700.rom no matter where I put it or if I delete its ini file either in the /etc/mess directory or the /.mess directory. So basically does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 64bit emulator advice

Quote Originally Posted by thebrandon View Post
    So I recently downgraded back from 12.10 to 12.04 and at the same time upgraded from 32 to 64 bit. I have been trying to work out a good snes emulator but I just cant seem to find one that works as well as zsnes did on my 32 bit system so I was hoping for advice. I tried bsnes which works the best but no matter how I change the settings it still has a bit of lag that is really annoying! All the workarounds to get zsnes to work seemed like they were more complex than I felt was worth it. I tried snes9x but it just crashes when I try to start it. And finally I tried mess which insists it cant find the spc700.rom no matter where I put it or if I delete its ini file either in the /etc/mess directory or the /.mess directory. So basically does anyone have any suggestions on how I should proceed?

Not sure which workarounds you were using, however I installed zsnes pretty painlessly.
    I have 12.10 64bit.
    I opened software sources, enabled all of them except the CD-Rom.
    Opened terminal, did an apt-get update, and then apt-get install zsnes

zsnes still doesnt appear in my software center, however I have no issues installing it from the terminal.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A huge thanks on my part, I always ended up hunting down a .deb because it never showed up in software center (strange as I install most software from terminal with apt)
    Technomancy
    The old ways are not the only ways. We study the mysteries of laser and circuit, crystal and scanner. Holographic daemons and invocations of equations. These are the tools we employ, and we know many things

Beans

Thanks that worked great, I did have a small problem the second time I started it up it would crash but I deleted the cfg files in the .zsnes directory and now it works great. Now I have an issue with getting it to recognize my save from my old zsnes, I put it in the .zsnes directory where I saved it from but it still starts the game from the beginning.

Beans

Well I figured out my save problem as well, it seems that before it was saving it with a space in the title but this new version was saving it without a space, I removed new file and the space in my old file and all fixed! Thanks again for all of your help!