Thread: Mysterious Ubuntu 12.04 Total Freeze

Beans

Exclamation Mysterious Ubuntu 12.04 Total Freeze

Hey,

I have a Dell Inspiron 14 2530 with Ubuntu 12.04. Once in a while the system freezes completely (can't move mouse, keyboard won't work, no HD led blinking) for no apparent reason. Sometimes I haven't even started any programs.
    Anybody got the same issue, or knows what could cause such freezes? Currently I'm dealing with it by hard rebooting the system, and hoping it won't happen again.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: Mysterious Ubuntu 12.04 Total Freeze

Have you ever opened your case and vacummed the dust out (carefully)?

I do this to all my PCs at least once a year as dust builds up in the heat sink and the PC either runs extremely slow or freezes once the cpu gets too hot.

Found this out a long time ago as amd used to just stop - disconnect power supply before able to switch back on.

Whilst Intel does speed stepping to how slow can you go until unresponsive.

May be unrelated but take a look.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by furything View Post
    Have you ever opened your case and vacummed the dust out (carefully)?

I do this to all my PCs at least once a year as dust builds up in the heat sink and the PC either runs extremely slow or freezes once the cpu gets too hot.

Found this out a long time ago as amd used to just stop - disconnect power supply before able to switch back on.

Whilst Intel does speed stepping to how slow can you go until unresponsive.

May be unrelated but take a look.
    I have not, but this seems unlikely since the laptop is only a month old and sometimes when it freezes i just turned it on and it's not warm at all.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I had frequent freezes like that. For me the problem had to do with my Intel Ivy Bridge CPU I think. I updated the kernel to a later version then the stock version and problem disappeared. There is quite a bit of info on how online.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Urielo
    Should have looked to see what your machine was first. Sometimes though the most simple things turn out to be the answer.

Yes a one month laptop should not have sufficient dust and I also don't recommend taking them apart. They are a pain in the **** to get back together.

You can also see dust build up around the vents.

Does look more like the other post though to do with the intel bridge set. Have you had any luck?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    I had frequent freezes like that. For me the problem had to do with my Intel Ivy Bridge CPU I think. I updated the kernel to a later version then the stock version and problem disappeared. There is quite a bit of info on how online.
    Well, I just updated to Kernel 3.6.2 via this tutorial
    http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/10/inst...buntu.html?m=1

Is this the version you updated yours?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Mine is 3.3.6-030306-generic so you should be OK

There was a Bug reported a long time ago when 12.04 first came out with a number of people having spontaneous freezing and using i7 (and i3,i5)CPUs(https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...el/+bug/993187). The kernel update fixed my problem anyway so I hope it works for you too.
    Last edited by SuperFreak; January 30th, 2013 at 12:45 AM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4